Nikon D850 user review - first impressions

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D850 user review - first impressions

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon D850 user review

---------------------------------
related topic: :arrow: Nikon releases the D850 (& product info)
related topic: :arrow: LIVE Hands-on Panel Discussion

Good afternoon everybody!

I was very happy to test extensively the Nikon D850.

While the camera I used was a pre-production model I do not have the right to publish images taken during the try out time.
For pictures with D850, I will complete this user review when I get my own D850 in a couple of weeks.
Not being allowed to post any pictures taken doesn't mean I can't write something that probably might interest you though...

D850, first impressions:
  • If you are common with or if you have a D800 or D810 ànd a D500, you will recognise inheritage from both. Body size being a little smaller than D810, button layout similar to D810, tilting LCD and iso button placement like D500. The D850 also has a dedicated AF point positioning joystick, just like D5 and D500.
  • The D850 viewfinder is... simply out of this world and one of the things I like the most about this camera. It's a dream to look through even if your distance is a little further away because of your glasses in between.
    Even though I will never shoot this camera in DX mode(it does nót change fps speed), I tried a DX lens and the clearly marked DX surface is now more than big enough to use confortable.
  • The AF is a direct heritage from D5, with some improvements while using Live view.
  • IQ is simply stunning straight out of the camera :o , I love the new "auto" picture control setting.
  • DR has even increased over the already extraordinary DR of the D810.
  • Compared to D810, IQ at high isos has improved when printed or viewed in the same size.
  • Camera operation noise is clearly louder than D810, somewhere between D800 and D810, over a relative silent Quiet mode, to total silence while used in LV.
  • You can use the D500 or D810 battery in the D850.
  • The touch screen has significantly improved over D500 while U can use it while scrolling the menus. Great!
  • 9 fps with grip makes it a perfect sports camera.
  • I use a 128GB XQD, and that's what you need if you shoot uncompressed RAW
  • The illuminated controls makes the D850 a joy to use at night...
:?: :idea: Is the D850 an interesting replacement for a D800 user: Definitely!
:?: :idea: Is the D850 an interesting replacement for a D810 user: Worth considering but D810 is still a fantastic camera, even with his successor arrived...

I was testing the D850 with 20mm F1.8, 50mm F1.4,105 AF-S F2.8 macro(+500 pictures...), 70-200 F2.8 AF-S VR FL, the mighty 200-500 consumer lens with pro grade IQ, and finally with my prehistoric, distortion free 28-105 walk around lens... Images will come later...

Thanks for reading. Will be continued...

Kindest regards,
Stany
related topic: :arrow: Nikon releases the D850 (& product info)
Stany Buyle

About the D850 pricing...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Of course I would love to see the D850 being priced "for free" :lol: , and € 4250 with grip is a lot of money for me as well, but:
:idea: With D850, Nikon offers the opportunity to have a professional sports camera that can shoot NINE (!) 45Mp NEFs per second for €2500 less than a 20Mp D5...
  • Nine frames per second with MUCH better DR than D5 provides
  • Nine frames per second with much more resolution and cropping opportunities than D5 provides...
Unfortunately European prices for photo gear are much higher than Asian or American as a result of high taxes in the EU or as a result of a different Nikon sales polici in different regions...

related topic :arrow: D850 pricing in Europe
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

About the 500 images I made with the D850...

Post by Stany Buyle »

I cannot publish the images I made with the D850, but I can tell you what I see:
  • jpegs straight out of the camera: Very little to no work in PP. Vibrant colours, tacksharp, incredible detail.
  • Very natural skintones.
  • Attractively saturated, warm, reminding me to my Fuji S5, but not overdone...
  • Beautiful red tones
  • Natural (OOC) sharpness beyond expectation.
  • Even the images with my prehistoric 28-105 are fabulous...
Can't wait to get mine...

Kindest regards,
Stany
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Re: Nikon D850 user review - first impressions

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany