First picture with my own D850, very dim light, iso 12800

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

First picture with my own D850, very dim light, iso 12800

Post by Stany Buyle »

related topic: :arrow: Nikon releases the D850 (& product info)
related topic: :arrow: Nikon D850 - Een namiddag op stap met een Nikon D850
related topic: :arrow: Nikon D850 user review - first impressions
related topic: :arrow: LIVE Hands-on Panel Discussion
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received my D850 this afternoon, and it's even better than what I experienced with the pre-production model, because it's my cam ;-) , and because now I have time...
My first picture with my D850 and of course with my favourite model. Taken handheld in very dim light, which should be clear if you look to the exif. (1/30 sec, F2.8 & iso 12.800) with my 70-200 F2.8 FL @ F2.8
In camera picture style I used for this picture was A(uto) and I love it. It has just enough to be pleasing, enough sharpness, not too much saturation and just enough contrast.

If I want I can reduce the blown highlight on my dog's nose, but I wanted to leave it totally unprocessed.
DR at high iso is MUCH better than my D800 & D810 used to be. I will test DR at low iso later this week.

Of course with my favorite model... ;)

If you click on the underneath jpeg, you will open the M size jpg as it came out of the camera.

:idea: :arrow: Registered forum members can download the Original NEF here.

Thanks for looking,
Kindest regards,

Stany

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:arrow: :idea: If you appreciate all the time we invest in this non-commercial website, you can support by making a donation...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Why this picture...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Just a little explanation about why I posted this picture how it is:
While taking into consideration that it's an iso 12800 picture, taken handheld in very dim light at 1/30 sec.
  • Because an OOC picture is the only kind of sample that has value to people who consider a D850 purchase.
    Of course some would like better a perfectly post processed picture of a gorgeous woman, but TMHO the choice of a subject and the illustration of someone's post processing skills have nothing to do with the potential of a camera.
  • Post processed images will look better but we talk about what D850does, not about my PP skills.
  • A picture with the fur of a Bernese Sennen, -with its B/W next to goldbrown colour gradations- suit very well to observe camera performance in relation to DR and noise at very high iso.
  • And last but not least, because I love my dog. She's a proud girl who likes to be captured and shown on the internet. :D

A 100% crop of the unprocessed NEF:

To illustrate the D850' image file latitude even at such high iso as 12800 in relation to noise and DR, a 100% crop of the same image with ADL set to low and -0.5 EV:

:idea: :arrow: Registered forum members can download the Original NEF here.

:arrow: :idea: If you appreciate all the time we invest in this non-commercial website, you can support by making a donation...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe