Nikon Z7 hands on review and field test

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon Z7 hands on review and field test

Post by Stany Buyle »

Last Friday I had the pleasure to handle the Nikon Z7 for a couple of hours, and it was a surprising positive experience.

During the approx 5 hours I had a Nikon Z7 with FTZ adapter and Z 24-70 f4 S lens to my disposal I drove to Warandeputten in Oostkamp(B) while hoping for the kingfisher' family presence. Unfortunately they were not at home... :(
There was a rather strong wind with very few dragonflies available for a session. Some birds but no herons or storks neither. :| :|
On top of that 1 lost an extra hour in traffic jam on the E40 highway. :oops: :cry:
All together I could really test the Nikon Z7 only for 1½ hour, which is largely insufficient for a full review, but enough for a hands on review in the field.

• Handling the Z7 feels very… Nikon, even though it's smaller and lighter than a comparable Nikon DSLR. Smaller and lighter doesn't mean less solid though. I see the Z7 body as a ML equivalent of a D750, but with a D850 sensor, which is great. I know many people who would love a D750 alike body with a 46Mp sensor inside…
    The Z6/Z7 have a very good-sized and comfortable handgrip. An upcoming supplementary battery grip might make feel the Z series even more pro.
    Less dedicated buttons than the DSLR pro cameras is only a problem in the first hour, a bit like going from D800/D810/D850 to D750...
    The joystick for moving the focus point is a very welcome heritage from D5/D850/D500 and tell it apart from a D750 body, and so is the AF-ON button.
    For my personal use, two important buttons are missing :| :| : The AF/MF switch with the AF-mode dial and the exposure mode button.
    You can assign this to the Fn buttons but I like to use the Fn buttons for other options…
    Probably something for the next generation.
  • The 1 memory card slot "problem" has been a hot topic on numerous fora. My take: Only a double XQD card slot would interest me because a combined XQD/SD card solution slows down my camera. In both my D850 & D500 I only use XQD most of the time but I understand that for wedding photographers and capturing of "once in a lifetime happenings" a second card slot is very important. Just imagine having to say to the a 2meter tall and 130 kg :evil: groom, "I'm sorry, I had a card failure..." :? :roll: :cry: :oops:
    Jokes aside, while a memory card theoretically can fail, the chances of a camera body failure are MUCH higher which turns it into an obligation for any serious wedding photographer to use at least two bodies…
  • The Nikon Z7 menu is nearly indistinguishable from nikon DSLR' menu system.
  • The EVF: The view you get through the Nikon Z7 EVF looks more "real" than what I've experienced with other mirrorless cameras, while providing very much detail and an impressive refresh rate.
    While shooting in AF-S mode you'll see a red/green square for the AF point which you can move over an extremely wide AF field coverage with (according to the brochure) 493 AF points. In AF-C mode you'll only see the red square.
  • Battery: I’ve been using my D850’ EN-EL15a battery for the approx. 420 pictures I made, with quite a bit of LCD viewing for both pictures and menu options, and at the end it still had some juice…
    Apparently the new EN-EL15b can be charged over USB.
  • Touchscreen LCD: Roughly the same opportunities as D850 but with a new, important i-button interaction to some important controls where there ain't a button for. A bummer for someone who expected a D500 or D850 style button layout.
  • IBIS: Very interesting in relation to old lenses but I had no time to test this…
    What I did experience though is that the already outstanding VR of both my 70-200 AF-S VR PF and even more the 200-500 AF-S VR become even better with IBIS.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
related topic :arrow: Nikon Z tutorials by Nikon
related topic :arrow: Nikon Z event on YouTube
related topic :arrow: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…
related topic :arrow: Pre-order your Z6, Z7 with 24-70 F4 + FTZ adapter at A&C

related topic: :arrow: Shooting with Nikon Z6
related topic: :arrow: Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..

:idea: :arrow: You can support this website...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
related topic on this forum :arrow: After three years Canon, back to Nikon....
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 hands on review- nikkor Z 24-70 F4S

Post by Stany Buyle »

The nikon Z 24-70 F4S lens is what I would like to have on my D850. I love it because it can go soo close to the subject. Canon has a similar 24-70 F4 with macro mode for up to 0.7x magnification in their lens range for years.
AF is fast, silent and smooth, and it can provide sharp images.

And as I mentioned Z 24-70 F4S can go close...

Close, silent and sharp...

a 100% crop of the above image:
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 hands on review- the FTZ-adapter

Post by Stany Buyle »

The FTZ-adapter....

Six weeks ago I wrote a topic that "The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…". TMHO the primary aspect that would turn Nikon mirrorless into a huge success or a failure.
Well, after testing a Z7 for a couple of hours with the 200-500 AF-S VR, the nikon 105 AF-S, a 20 mm F1.8, my 70-200 AF-S FL, some prehistoric nkkors like the 55 mm F2.8 micro and even with a BR-2a macro reverse ring with an old 28mm on it (*) , I can only confirm that the FTZ adapter and related tech is something to be proud about. It simply works flawless with all the lenses I used… :o Kudos to Nikon.

(*) = Nikon Z7 with FTZ and a BR-2a macro reverse ring + reversed nikkor 28mm F2.8 E. (picture with my phone)

The FTZ-adapter + 200-500 AF-S VR
Among all lenses I tested on the Z7 with FTZ adapter, the 200-500 AF-S Vr impressed me the most.
It focuses and locks focus relative fast but it blew me away with images in the very close focus range, with an even significantly better VR performance than the extraordinary VR this lens natively already has.
Underneath 2 images taken HANDHELD, Manual mode, 1/1250 sec, F5.6 @ 500mm. Auto iso (iso 560 & iso 400)
The images haven't been sharpened in PP. Only converted from NEF in view NX-i with my preferred picture style for this kind of images.

and a crop of the above image, resized to 1000px longest side: (click on the image to get the 100% crop)

and a crop of the above image, resized to 1000px longest side: (click on the image to get the 100% crop)

TMHO, the Nikon Z7 is amazing with FTZ & 200-500 at close distance...

The Z7+FTZ+200-500 AF-S VR f5.6 while used for long distance shots of static subjects performs about the same as it does on my 850

On the nikon website you can find a PDF with Compatible F Mount Lenses: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ ... 1/FTZ.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
related topic :arrow: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR review
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 hands on review- the FTZ-adapter + AF-S lenses

Post by Stany Buyle »

The FTZ-adapter + 105 AF-S VR

Nikon Z7 with FTZ-adapter + 105 AF-S VR shows a normal behaviour in both AF speed and accuracy when the center AF points are used.

:idea: Underneath picture has been taken HANDHELD while using autofocus.

and a 100% crop: (I have done numerous similar pictures MUCH sharper than this, but this has nothing to do with the camera.)
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 hands on review- the FTZ + 105 AF-S VR + 2xTC

Post by Stany Buyle »

The Nikon Z7 combined with the + 105 AF-S VR + 2xTC seems to work very well.
Underneath you see an image taken HANDHELD and autofocus. Again, I have the strong impression that VR works better than with classic DSLRs. Also autofocus at F8 performed normal.(with center AF point)

The exif of the original: Image

and a 100% crop:

Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 hands on review- the FTZ-adapter + manual lenses

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon engineers made the FTZ adapter so well that it even works with a BR-2a macro reverse ring + reversed lenses.
I did not have enough time to test and thus I don't know if IBIS has any influence with this setup.

Nikon Z7 with FTZ and a BR-2a macro reverse ring + reversed nikkor 28mm F2.8 E. (picture with my phone)

An image with this setup, nothing special out of the fact that it proves that it works… And... that I have to clean that lens. :?

related topic :arrow: A crying butterfly... With D850
Stany Buyle

Shooting experience, Z7 compared to D850 and conclusion

Post by Stany Buyle »

After using Z7 in the field for about 1½ hour I will remember it as a very positive experience with the first model out of a new category of photographic tools by Nikon. The very "Nikon" feel and menu, silent shooting, impressive vibration free 9 fps, my best EVF experience until today and last but not least the perfect compatibility of all Nikon lenses trough a engineering masterpiece of a Fmount To Zmount adapter were the highlights, while the lack of some dedicated buttons, the start up lag, one card slot and a rather limited buffer were the less positive points.

While the start up lag is probably inherent to the mirrorless system, I could imagine that the lack of some dedicated buttons, one card slot and a rather limited buffer are decisions Nikon made to protect D850 sales for 2018/2019.
I expect a more pro version of the Z-series to be announced in about a year from now, available end 2019/early 2020.
While talking about a more "pro" version successor of the Nikon Z7, someone might think it would beat D850 on everything. If so, and explicit in relation to action, sports, BIF, insects in flight and wildlife photography, Z serie' AF has still to be improved a lot to become a D850 competitor or replacement.
TMHO, the D5 successor will be a DSLR...

For professional users I see Z6/Z7 more as a complementary camera than as a successor or replacement for DSLRs. Complementary because of silent shooting and professional video opportunities.
For new users who want a compact, silent camera system with very probably the best IQ in its class available today, Z7 is an excellent choice.

Nikon does things right.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany

Stany Buyle

Nikon Capture NX-D v1.5

Post by Stany Buyle »

• Nikon just released what I would quote a very mature nikon raw converter and compatible with Z7 and Z6 NEFs.

• I exclusively use Nikon software for NEF conversion since day one despite the fact that I have PS and other software.
  • After conversion, I still use the old Capture NX2 for further PP.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Image
  • Adobe PS for © and text... ;)

Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 with 200-500 for Birds In Flight

Post by Stany Buyle »

I had the opportunity to use a Nikon Z7 for a couple of days more... :D :idea:
Unfortunately :( I forgot to adjust the date in the camera, which shows February 2nd, while the pictures have been taken on September 21st.

If I have to give one reason NOT to recommend a Z7 I would say "Action photography" or "Birds In flight". TMHO, all modern Nikon pro DSLR's are faster to achieve and lock focus on this, and MUCH better to keep focus locked on a moving subject. :!: :idea: :arrow: Will be updated after Z7 firmware upgrade which gives MUCH better AF performance than the pre production camera I was testing.

In defense of the Z7 I could bring up that the 200-500 is a rather slow lens, both in AF speed as aperture …. which works very well on my D850, D500 and even my D800 though...
While trying to photograph BIF against a busy background, I had a very high percentage of misses... :(
TMHO, and compared to the class leading Nikons' AF in DSLR world, continuous autofocus on fast moving subjects still has a long way to go for Nikon Z. Probably native Z mount tele lenses will close this gap.

This doesn't mean you can't do BIF photography with a Z7 though.

Underneath an image with the Z7 & nikon 200-500 AF-S VR lens, cropped and resized to 1000 px
:!: Underneath image is without any post processing or sharpening. It have been converted straight from their original NEF files in Nikon View NX-i and © with PS5.

Cropped from:Image Exif: Image

And a 100% crop from the original SOOC picture:

the same 100% crop after a little sharpening in NX2:
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 manuals online

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Z7 is a perfect tool for (handheld) macro photography

Post by Stany Buyle »

After several hundreds of pictures with a Z7 + macro lenses I find the Z7 the best Nikon camera I have ever used for macro photography.
Shooting in silent mode, and thus vibration free, while looking through the viewfinder is a significant advantage over mirror slap and shutter shock with a DSLR...
Upto that, the image stabilisation as a result of VR & ibis combined is phenomenal.
While Z7 has FP sync support I could use my SB-800 at the shutter speeds I wanted.

A dragonfly, captured handheld with the 105 AF-s + 2x TC combo & autofocus:

and a 100% crop:

Stany Buyle

Z6/Z7 give old manual (macro) lenses a revival...

Post by Stany Buyle »

More on macro with Nikon Zseries: Z6/Z7 give old manual (macro) lenses a revival...

Because of the Z series IBIS they become stabilised when shooting handheld and focus peaking on screen...

...ànd through the viewfinder makes focusing piece of cake...

Stany Buyle

The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f4 S... I LOVE it!

Post by Stany Buyle »

To me, the most seductive element in the Z series next to shooting in silent mode... is the 24-70 F4 lens.
Light, compact, silent and fast focusing while delivering top notch IQ is what this lens is and does. I love it.
Used on a high MP body likeZ7 it's a Swiss knife, a great travel combo, from landscape to limited tele due to the cropping possibilities a high resolution sensor provides, with a very attractive closest focusing distance as a bonus...

and a crop of the above image:

and a crop of the above image:

kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 AF ...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Will be updated after Z7 firmware upgrade which gives MUCH better AF performance than the pre production camera I was testing.

Stany
2019 09 19 :idea: a new related topic: :arrow: My Z6' & Z7' AF optimisation setup...
admin
site administrator

Z6/Z7 screen covers

Post by admin »

I found a couple of solutions for a Z6/Z7 screen protector.
Kindest regards,
Stany.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you appreciate all the time Stany puts into this non-commercial website..
:idea: You can make a donation by credit card through the PayPal system. You do not need to have a PayPal account to do this. Click the logo at right to make a donation in various currencies, also with your credit card.

Thanks for reading this, and more thanks if you want to make a donation.

Sincerely,
Rita Buyle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stany Buyle

About Z7'AF: Insect in flight photography

Post by Stany Buyle »

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the Nikon Z' AF system and even more BS written and published in YouTube movies...
Using Z6 & Z7 side by side I can tell you that the Z7' AF is very good and Z6'AF simply outstanding.

Taken today at noon. Because it should be winter here there are very few insects around, but a sunny day and earth climat change made wake up a couple of them.
A nice opportunity to test Z7' AF...
Using Z7 and Z6 side by side, and even though I consider the Z6 AF system to be clearly superior to the Z7'AF system, Z7 does very well, even in rather difficult AF situations. Keepers rate during this session was about as high as what I got with my D850.
Image taken handheld, with Z7 + FTZ+ 105 AF-S VR.

Underneath a hooverfly in flight, two examples of difficult situations for ANY AF system, also D5 & D850... Z7 achieved a very nice keepers rate in this session. I expect Z6 to do even better in a similar situation.

The scene with AF point indication as you see in Nikon ViewNX
And a 100% crop resized to 1000 px longest side.

The scene with AF point indication as you see in Nikon ViewNX
And a 100% crop resized to 1000 px longest side.

Stany
Stany Buyle

A robin with Z7 & nikon 200-500

Post by Stany Buyle »

A picture of a robin in my garden taken this morning with Z7 and 200-500 at 500mm, handheld, silent mode. Cropped from the picture as screenshot underneath, no additional post processing.

In this image you see two advantages of the Z7 silent mode: Very good sharpness and a bird that doesn't fly away because of "click, click, click..." :D

Image Image

The above crop resized to 1000px longest side:

And a 100% crop
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Z7 & 200-500 for birding: A goldfinch

Post by Stany Buyle »

While the goldfinch was quite high in the branches, the Z7' resolution was a big help.

The scene:

And some crops resized to 1000px longest side:

kindest regards,

Stany