Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

AA2
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..

Post by AA2 »

Most reviewers and users report that Z7'AF is significantly slower than its DSLR counterpart D850 in continuous mode-H & and AF-C.
First of all, ML' AF and DSLR' AF is very different, with both systems having strengths and weaknesses.
Making Z7' AF in AF-C & CM faster can be achieved while lowering fps. There is a relation between Z7' AF speed in continuous mode and the buffer.
Also the difference in file size and related buffer might result in an advantage in AF speed in certain circumstances for Z6 vs Z7.
Next to a smaller buffer another reason for the difference between D850' and Z' AF is that D850 has 3 operating modules, while Zseries have one.
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi AA2 !
I did not try that neither was thinking about that possibility when I was testing Z7, but it sounds like a plausible reasoning and it may be worth trying.
Kindest regards,
Stany

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
related topic :arrow: Shooting with Nikon Z6
related topic :arrow: Nikon Z7 hands on review and field test
related topic :arrow: Nikon Z6 might be available earlier than scheduled...
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

AA2, is it possible that the wider AF points on Z6(273 focus points) vs Z7(493 focus points) are the reason of a faster AF and better AF in the dark?
Raul
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Raul »

My question, fact rather, is that Zs look a bit better than phones. I had to take some interiors and besides the D810 I took my XT-2. While I was doing a few shots with the Fuji, my client came along and said something like: You will not send me those photos, right?
Clients want to see more "important/larger" cameras or they will simply not call you again. Do Zs impress? no.
Kind regards
Raul
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Raul wrote:My question, fact rather, is that Zs look a bit better than phones. I had to take some interiors and besides the D810 I took my XT-2. While I was doing a few shots with the Fuji, my client came along and said something like: You will not send me those photos, right? Clients want to see more "important/larger" cameras or they will simply not call you again. Do Zs impress? no.
Kind regards Raul
Good afternoon Raul,
Our mutual friend Dirk Vermeirre did not like "big brick cameras" as he called them but everybody wanted Dirk to take the pictures... His D2x stayed in his office most of the time, he preferred his Canon 5d because of weight and size next to the great B&W that camera produced. He didn't like too much pixels neither.
He would have loved a small FF cam with 24Mp and outstanding high iso for his kind of artistic work...

Kindest regards,
Stany
AA2
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by AA2 »

Stany Buyle wrote:AA2, is it possible that the wider AF points on Z6(273 focus points) vs Z7(493 focus points) are the reason of a faster AF and better AF in the dark?
Z7 vs Z6 distinction in AF speed is identified with:
-buffer (CFExpress memory cards will enhance Z7)
-similar processing unit handling data from 493 vs 273 FP
-Z7 Detection range: -1 to +19 EV vs Z6 Detection range -2 to +19 EV
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you appreciate all the time Stany puts into this non-commercial website..

:idea: You can make a donation by credit card through the PayPal system. You do not need to have a PayPal account to do this. Click the logo at right to make a donation in various currencies, also with your credit card.

Thanks for reading this, and more thanks if you want to make a donation.

Sincerely,
Rita.
Stany Buyle

Nikon Z7 Performance test (link)

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe