BIF with Z6 & nikon 200-500

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

BIF with Z6 & nikon 200-500

Post by Stany Buyle »

2019 09 19 :idea: a new related topic: :arrow: My Z6' & Z7' AF optimisation setup...

This afternoon I was doing some BIF photography with my Z6 and it's working extremely well. The high frame rate which enables more choice among keepers makes it in realtion to the fps aspect more attractive than my D850. While D850 has a clear advantage in resolution, Z6 does much better at high iso. D850 is also better for snapping focus on BIFs, but Z6' focus locking ànd tracking was significantly better(*) than I expected and , -TMHO- better than what I experienced with Z7.

:!: Underneath image is as it comes straight out of the camera. No additional post processing or sharpening.

The scene & full exif:
ImageImage

And a 100% crop resized to 1000 px longest side to fit on this forum...

related topic: :arrow: Shooting with Nikon Z6
Stany Buyle

Z6 subject tracking was significantly better than I expected

Post by Stany Buyle »

While locking to the subject is slower than D5, D850 or D500(but not at all bad), once Z6 has locked on the subject, it keeps up very well, even with disturbing and confusing backgrounds. I did the same testing with Z7, in even better light (August) but Z7 had a significantly lower keeper rate.

Thumbnails in ViewNX-i from a burst: (all frames were perfectly in focus)

One of the images during this burst:

And a 100% crop:

related topic: :arrow: Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..
2019 09 19 :idea: a new related topic: :arrow: My Z6' & Z7' AF optimisation setup...
Stany Buyle

Re: BIF with Z6 & nikon 200-500

Post by Stany Buyle »

On my questions about Z6'AF vs Z7'AF I got interesting answers from AA2...
AA2 wrote:"AA2: Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps.."
Most reviewers and users report that Z7'AF is significantly slower than its DSLR counterpart D850 in continuous mode-H & and AF-C.
First of all, ML' AF and DSLR' AF is very different, with both systems having strengths and weaknesses.
Making Z7' AF in AF-C & CM faster can be achieved while lowering fps. There is a relation between Z7' AF speed in continuous mode and the buffer.
Also the difference in file size and related buffer might result in an advantage in AF speed in certain circumstances for Z6 vs Z7.
Next to a smaller buffer another reason for the difference between D850' and Z' AF is that D850 has 3 operating modules, while Zseries have one.
AA2 wrote:Z7 vs Z6 distinction in AF speed is identified with:
-buffer (CFExpress memory cards will enhance Z7)
-similar processing unit handling data from 493 vs 273 FP
-Z7 Detection range: -1 to +19 EV vs Z6 Detection range -2 to +19 EV
Kindestregards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

More pics from this session in relation to tracking

Post by Stany Buyle »

One more serie of pictures with a bird relative far away, lightning "contre-jour", with a disturbing background and…

:!: :!: :!: Some people in other fora and websites should stop bashing the Z series' AF capacities, because although not yet on D500, D850 and D5 level, it's working VERY well, IF the person behind the camera understands how it works...

related topic: :arrow: Make Z7' AF faster while lowering fps..

...after that heavily cropped:

:idea: Underneath are 100% crops as they came OOC with addition of ©

Image Image

Image Image
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you appreciate all the time Stany puts into this non-commercial website..

:idea: You can make a donation by credit card through the PayPal system. You do not need to have a PayPal account to do this. Click the logo at right to make a donation in various currencies, also with your credit card.

Thanks for reading this, and more thanks if you want to make a donation.

Sincerely,
Rita.