Test driving the Z7II...

Everything you want or need to know about the upcoming Nikon mirrorless cameras.
Alles wat je wil of moet weten over Nikon Mirrorless

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Test driving the Z7II...

Postby Stany Buyle » Wed 14 Oct 2020 20:25

Good evening everybody!

Today I was shooting with the Z7 II for a couple of hours and, even though I found the original Z7 very good from day 1 I used it while the camera was improving after every FU till becoming excellent after FU3, the new Z7 II is an overall significantly faster operating camera. Dual CPU does the job.
While two card slot is the least of my concerns (never had a card problem since I use XQD cards), the noticeable faster AF locking in difficult and/or tricky AF situations on the other hand is what made me pre-order.

There was a kingfisher at a relative long-distance sitting between the foliage in a position where pinpoint AF-mode was my only solution to be sure getting a sharp image, but pinpoint AF lock was always very slow/difficult with my Z7 when shooting handheld. With the Z7II I got the little green square very fast while trying this multiple times. That’s progress!

While I was trying to capture the kingfisher in flight to another fishing spot, the increased buffer came in handsome.

Unfortunately, I do not have the authorization to post any images taken with the Z7II while it’s not a final camera and not the final firmware.

What I can tell you more is that the Z7II, even though I used a pre-production model, functions perfectly with my fringer adapter and my Canon 100-400 and 180mm macro. In the exif it shows an error though, while naming my 100-400 "50 1.4G" :shock: :? :?: :?:

I hope the original equivalent Nikon lenses will be available soon.

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

Z7II-tracking

Postby Stany Buyle » Thu 15 Oct 2020 10:18

My time with the camera was limited to a couple of hours which I spent on wildlife photography and the differences I feel vs Z7 which I know and use on daily basis for nearly 2 and a half years now, but based on some practical testing, tracking has improved dramatically.
Several AF icons have been added with a clear purpose, and they seem to do what they stand for.
Stany Buyle

Return to Nikon Mirrorless