Hello to everyone !

I this section you can introduce yourself, post invitations and more...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Hello to everyone !

Post by sandor »

I've been reading this forum for some weeks now and I must say that I like what I read and see. I also participate on DPR forums, as well as on the Dutch Nikon user forum. This means I will have to spread out my forum time once more ...

I'm a former Pentax user. If it wasn't for the slow AF and poor noise handling with my K10, I probably would never have left that brand. But there's no time to look back and after a short stay with Sony (A700) I decided to go Nikon.
I've used various Nikon lenses, from the 70-300, the 80-400 to a manual 50 mm, with my main instrument the D300.
My current lenses are the 70-200 VRI, an 18-250 Sigma with OS, and the latest 17-70 from Sigma with OS.
The latter was a favorite on my K10d ( slightly different optics though), and I love the quality of this lens (once you got a sharp one).
The 70-200 doesn't need any introduction. It's good, very good. Maybe a bit less on FX, but I do not think I will care much.
The 18-250 is made for simple holiday snapshots without the need of the fine quality. It really lacks the resolution and cropping is a pain. But it can also suprise you in many ways, with good color, very decent, silent AF and a very useful OS. As long as you keep it simple, it's perfect holiday lens for me.

One of the reasons I'm here is because I have decided to upgrade: either to a D400 or to a D800. That's why I recently sold the D300. I'm sure some of you here will provide me with information that will help me to make the right decision.
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Hello to everyone !

Post by DiederikVP »

Welcome here. :D
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

sandor wrote:I've been reading this forum for some weeks now and I must say that I like what I read and see. I also participate on DPR forums, as well as on the Dutch Nikon user forum. This means I will have to spread out my forum time once more ...
One of the reasons I'm here is because I have decided to upgrade: either to a D400 or to a D800. That's why I recently sold the D300. I'm sure some of you here will provide me with information that will help me to make the right decision.
Welcome Sandor. If you "consider" D400 or D800 the choice seems obvious to me. If Nikon will bring a 24Mp D400, one of the main reasons will be to fill the price gap between D7000 and D800. I expect D400 for about € 1700 whereas D800 is 1000 more + a potential more expensive suiting lens range. About image quality there will be little to doubt in that choice. A lens for D800 about which my expectations are high is the upcoming tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC. Lightweight, relative compact, image stabilisation and a reasonable price.
Kindest regards, Stany
sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by sandor »

Thanks for the welcome, guys !

Stany, I get your point. But there is also something about changing priorities in my photography. That's the most difficult thing.
I could probably do everything with the new D400 if Nikon handles noise in the 24 Mp sensor similarly to the way they did it in the D800. My choise will be obvious than. But I'm not convinced they can do that trick. Let's wait and see.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

With 24 megapixels you can do anything you like. I printed from my D700 only a tiny part of my file, probably less than about 1 megapixel at 20x30 cm as nothing else was available at the funeral of the person in the image. He was in a group of 6, so you can imagine the size. Nobody, including me was capable of seeing anything wrong with it.
So, your choice of not going for more than 24 mpx is quite understandable.
Btw, welcome to the forum!