Very flattering D3X preview in Chasseur d'Images

New cameras, lenses, accessories and software and news about photography related events.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Very flattering D3X preview in Chasseur d'Images

Post by Stany Buyle »

My impressions after reading the 4 pages preview in the Chasseur d'Images edition 310 -january-february2009: The Iso 3200 samples are stunning for such a high pixel density... Close (about 1 stop) to what D3/D700 deliver and @ least 2 (perhaps more) stops better than A900. Quite a bit of printed samples and crops in this review. Compared to A900, D3X seems to be worth its (high)price.
They write literally:
-“This sensor resembles much to the sensor of the Sony Alpha 900, but he surprises us by the exceptional resolution and very fine details with a very high microcontrast: you would say Nikon has been working very hard on the low pass filter. We haven’t seen the slightest moiré on our images.”
-“@ ISO 100 we are amazed by the resolution, particulary tempting reproduction of the finest details, with a realism (because of microcontrast) never seen in 24 x 36.”
-“The impressing result in mode H1(equivalent of iso 3200)…”
-“In very big prints, whatever sensivity, Nikon D3x will become the camera to beat…”
-“We never encountered an amount of rich detail like this…”

If that can't be called "very flattering"...

***Source: Chasseur d'Images edition 310 -january-february2009- pages 114-115-116***

And about the sample images in this article:
On page 116 there is a comparison of a crop between iso 100 and iso 3200, in this printed samples iso 3200 looks incredibly good....
On page 117 there are 12 samples of 4 cameras (Nikon D3X, Nikon D3, Canon 5DMkII and Sony 900) in 3 different sensibilities(iso200, iso 1600, iso 6400).
In these crops, the D3X iso 6400 looks better than the Alfa900 iso1600 and to my very biggest surprise - the D3x and D3 samples are just next to each other -, the D3X images @ ANY sensivity, look all BETTER than the D3 images.(Also very low noise with more pronounced detail)
Among the other samples, the Sony900 iso 1600 and iso 6400 are just looking awfull...
The Canon MkII samples are looking good as well...

***Source: Chasseur d'Images edition 310 -january-february2009- pages 116-117***

Unfortunately I cannot scan these pictures in relation to copyrights...

I can't wait to see this sensor in a D700 alike body, with video mode...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

What, did they get 3 of them for free!

Post by DavidLake »

I have found the examples (especially at high ISO - above 800) to be far less than exemplary.

These low light studio examples are pretty bad, as compared to the D3. They are right at the D300 level (to be expected). http://www.flickr.com/photos/feke/sets/ ... 292648111/

I am thoroughly disappointed for this price point - but not surprised. I was expecting performance around this, as the pixel density is similar to the D300 and only a year later in technology.

I will likely not pick one up, unless I get a client that requires 20MP+. Otherwise I prefer the wicked DR and smooth tones of my big pixel of my D3's
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Very flattering D3X preview in Chasseur d'Images

Post by Lil Judd »

I feel vindicated.... A year ago I predicted the D3x with 24-26MP & 5fps on DPR. I was told I was wrong about everything. Ah well.....

I even predicted the price tag - to match Canon's at $ 8,000 upon release. Let's just hope the price drops as it has for the Canon camera.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to handle the D3x. I so want this camera. But in todays economy - - who can afford it. :-(

I've downloaded a few shots from Nikon that are the D3x - - they're wonderful. Love them, high ISO isn't necessarily my high priority. fps, pixels are most of the time my priority.... I just want to get to the point that I own one pro level camera. . . . .

I may settle for a D700..... :-(

Lil :-)
Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Lil, the D700 is such a capable camera. I use the D3 (I bought if from Stany ;)) and, yes the pro body is just great.
If you want to get the utmost out of a D3X, you would have to use a tripod or studio lighting most of the time.
So, a D3 or D700 would be the best allround camera and this is how I use it, both for handheld low light work and in the studio.
The smooth color transitions are wonderful, even around 1.600 ISO and resolution really is great for almost everything.
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Lil Judd »

Pam,

I shoot primarily wildlife/birds here in Los Angeles. I tend to have a lot of light & right now I'm shooting mostly with my D300. I actually need the crop factor. Helps with the distances I have to work with. The reason I feel the D3x would work wonders for me is that it is FX for when I need it, but I'd still have room to crop without losing quality. With the D3 or D700 I'd have to crop & quality would suffer....

Maybe they'll make a D700x..... that would work for me. :-)

Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/
Stany Buyle

No way...Re: What, did they get 3 of them for free!

Post by Stany Buyle »

DavidLake wrote:I have found the examples (especially at high ISO - above 800) to be far less than exemplary.These low light studio examples are pretty bad, as compared to the D3. They are right at the D300 level (to be expected). http://www.flickr.com/photos/feke/sets/ ... 292648111/
I am thoroughly disappointed for this price point - but not surprised. I was expecting performance around this, as the pixel density is similar to the D300 and only a year later in technology.I will likely not pick one up, unless I get a client that requires 20MP+. Otherwise I prefer the wicked DR and smooth tones of my big pixel of my D3's
Hi Dave,
No way that Chasseur d'Images would let them influence by manufacturors advertisement or sponsoring. With the 1DMkIII AF debacle there was threatening from Canon France that if CI would publish about the AF issue, they would cancel the advertisement. Result: CI choose for independance and published even the whole story of Canon France threatening...
Right now again, same edition as the D3X review, they published a half page about the new Canon debacle with the black dots and banding issue.
Chasseur d'Images is my main source for information and test results, next to Audiophil for real try-outs. I prefer CI above Dpreview, also because I prefer a printed copy full with nice photographs next to scientific test result-diagrams above staring to coins, a watch or some bottles on a screen...
And about the samples you found on the internet: I've seen horrible samples on the internet out of any camera, @ any iso, because they were often taken in bad conditions and by amateurs .
The printed samples in CI are clear though: taken in studio conditions, by experts and printed...
kindest regards,

Stany
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: No way...Re: What, did they get 3 of them for free!

Post by DavidLake »

StanyB wrote:
DavidLake wrote:I have found the examples (especially at high ISO - above 800) to be far less than exemplary.These low light studio examples are pretty bad, as compared to the D3. They are right at the D300 level (to be expected). http://www.flickr.com/photos/feke/sets/ ... 292648111/
I am thoroughly disappointed for this price point - but not surprised. I was expecting performance around this, as the pixel density is similar to the D300 and only a year later in technology.I will likely not pick one up, unless I get a client that requires 20MP+. Otherwise I prefer the wicked DR and smooth tones of my big pixel of my D3's
Hi Dave,
No way that Chasseur d'Images would let them influence by manufacturors advertisement or sponsoring. With the 1DMkIII AF debacle there was threatening from Canon France that if CI would publish about the AF issue, they would cancel the advertisement. Result: CI choose for independance and published even the whole story of Canon France threatening...
Right now again, same edition as the D3X review, they published a half page about the new Canon debacle with the black dots and banding issue.
Chasseur d'Images is my main source for information and test results, next to Audiophil for real try-outs. I prefer CI above Dpreview, also because I prefer a printed copy full with nice photographs next to scientific test result-diagrams above staring to coins, a watch or some bottles on a screen...
And about the samples you found on the internet: I've seen horrible samples on the internet out of any camera, @ any iso, because they were often taken in bad conditions and by amateurs .
The printed samples in CI are clear though: taken in studio conditions, by experts and printed...
Those images were by a professional, in a studio, under calibrated test conditions. And they just are not very good above iso800 - for $8000. But for a studio protrait shooter iwht big umbrellas (at iso100) it probably look pretty darn snazzy. Since I shoot weddings, I am not impressed. And I really wanted to offer 24MP images to help set myself apart that little extra. I guess I will save the money and find other things to spend it on. Hmmm... lenses :)
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Stany Buyle

Re: No way...Re: What, did they get 3 of them for free!

Post by Stany Buyle »

DavidLake wrote:
StanyB wrote:
Hi Dave,
Those images were by a professional, in a studio, under calibrated test conditions. And they just are not very good above iso800 - for $8000. But for a studio protrait shooter iwht big umbrellas (at iso100) it probably look pretty darn snazzy. Since I shoot weddings, I am not impressed. And I really wanted to offer 24MP images to help set myself apart that little extra. I guess I will save the money and find other things to spend it on. Hmmm... lenses :)
For a professional photographer, D3 & D3X combo is perfect...
kindest regards,

Stany
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Lil,

I may be totally crazy, but just like Stany I expect the D700X next Spring/early Summer.
I believe the D3X won´t sell too well at that price and when the market will be saturated, they will have to release a cheaper alternative. Once you´ll have it, you´ll be delighted at the cropping possibilities.

Pam
Lil Judd wrote:Pam,

I shoot primarily wildlife/birds here in Los Angeles. I tend to have a lot of light & right now I'm shooting mostly with my D300. I actually need the crop factor. Helps with the distances I have to work with. The reason I feel the D3x would work wonders for me is that it is FX for when I need it, but I'd still have room to crop without losing quality. With the D3 or D700 I'd have to crop & quality would suffer....

Maybe they'll make a D700x..... that would work for me. :-)

Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Lil Judd »

Pam,

I'm not a professional - - there's no way I can justify a camera body for $ 8,000 in this market. Nor should I have to. Nikon are insane to release it at that price. But there are those who will pay it. I will either get it when it's come down in price or I'll get the potential D700x. That would make sense for me.

Yes, then I can crop etc etc. Also, I have the grip etc for the D300 & that should work on the D700x as well as it works on the D700.... So I'll just wait for now.