My first impression on D3X images I've seen...

New cameras, lenses, accessories and software and news about photography related events.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

My first impression on D3X images I've seen...

Post by Stany Buyle »

The low iso images out of a D3x I've seen(on Nikon website) are really stunning on every aspect of IQ and the detail you get with this camera is mind blowing compared to a 12Mp DSLR, but...
based upon the iso 3200 shot I've seen though on a website where samples from jeff-c are hosted(http://www.fotoactualidad.com/2008/12/e ... ample.html ), both D3 and D700 blow D3x away in relation to high iso performance. The D3x iso3200 sample is simply noisy compared to a similar D3/D700 file and there is an ugly colour change and orange cast.

TMHO D3x is THE camera for low iso shooting, studio, fashion and landscape, D700 is the pefect allround camera, D3 the perfect sports camera.
A D700 alike body with better spread AF points, 16-18Mp, less strong AA filter and movie mode would be welcome though...

Just my thoughts...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: My first impression on D3X images I've seen...

Post by BrianSmith »

My impression is that anyone who thinks that the D3X is going to fulfill all their requirements, like FX landscape and DX sports in low light is going to be disappointed. D3 AND D3X together is the dream ticket, if only because you only need one L bracket.
The D3X looks great at lower iso and I would have one if Euromillions would cooperate but I am very happy with my D3 for my purposes.
The orange colour cast was explained by jeff-c. Apparently the lighting was a high pressure sodium discharge type which varies in colour during the mains cycle. To cover the iso range he had to use shutter speeds that caused WB variations shot to shot. I did some corrections using iCorrect Editlab and the skin tones came out really well.