D700 successor or a "new" Nikon FX very probably 16Mp...

New cameras, lenses, accessories and software and news about photography related events.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

D700 successor or a "new" Nikon FX very probably 16Mp...

Post by DiederikVP »

I guess some people on this board might be interested about this:
The long awaited D700 successor or a "new" Nikon FX body will be very probably provided with a 16Mp sensor and
video.
Got some kind of confirmation of this rumor in the Chasseur d'Images n° 326' nikon 24mm F1.4 review where you can read :
Chasseur d'Images n°326 page 145 wrote: "...Les performances notées avec le boîtier le plus exigeant du moment montrent clairement que ce 24mm est fait pour l'avenir, celui de la prochaine génération de capteurs plein format basée sur le calcul des photosites des nouveaux capteurs Sony Exmor 16Mpix qui feront leur premier tour de piste à la Photokina."
Greetings,
Diederik.
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: D700 successor or a "new" Nikon FX very probably 16Mp...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Diederik, thanks for passing by.
Unfortunately I don't have my Chasseur d'Images copy yet myself :( , should be here tomorrow or anyday this week...

I don't believe this will be the sensor in a D700 successor, it would be some kind of discouraging for some people who expect it to be +20Mp like Canon 5DMkII. For myself 16Mp with the D3s noise characteristics would be perfect :o , but this is also quite unlikely...
TMHO, most plausible body to suit this sensor in would be a new, affordable FX sensor in a D90-size alike body as has been rumoured for quite a while on Dpreview and other fora...
Just my thoughts...

Anyhow, we'll see @ Photokina what Nikon has to offer this fall...

----------------------------------------------------------
If you would like to join this young forum, everybody is welcome!, just not anonymous.
You can read how to join this forum here.
---------------------------------------------------------
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I also think the magazine is wrong. An 'upgrade' from 12 to 16 megapixel would hardly improve picture quality. Quality improvement is just only by square roots, so in this case about 20%. I think it will be at least 20 mpx or more.
Or they might be speculating on the ignorance of the general public.....
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

No matter what Nikon will issue, I won´t buy it. With today´s technology I still need two cameras. One for high ISO and conveniently small image files and one for resolution.
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

pam.meier wrote:No matter what Nikon will issue, I won´t buy it. With today´s technology I still need two cameras. One for high ISO and conveniently small image files and one for resolution.
A 24Mp Nikon with different RAW sizes like Canon 5DMKII and Kodak 14n would be the solution for that. One menu bank for small files and one for those where resolution matters... Smaller files reduce noise, I tested this those days with my D200.
kindest regards,

Stany
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Can this be done with a RAW file? I shoot all my cameras except for my Fuji 200EXR in RAW mode only.
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

pam.meier wrote:Can this be done with a RAW file? I shoot all my cameras except for my Fuji 200EXR in RAW mode only.
Different raw files is a 5DMkII feature, I hope the D700 successor will have it too...
kindest regards,

Stany
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Well, then that would be very interesting. Especially, how it is reduced and what it would mean regarding diffraction and such.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Maybe it is me, but I don't see any advantage in having different RAW-files. The price of memory can hardly be an obstacle at todays prices.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Leen, it is not so much the price, call me conservative, but it is the handling of larger files as well. It takes more time. When you have a 99% RAW workflow like me, it does matter. After all my work hours are the biggest cost.

And harddrives really are rather slow to begin with. I work on a MacPro 2,93 Ghz with 2x4 Cores and 12 GB of RAM and accessing harddrives takes time.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I am getting used to losing any discussion with women............ :D
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Hehe, Leen, as if there was right or wrong in our individual workflows ;)

To me having a Sony system parallel to my Nikon system has broadened my horizon. I find it nice to have cameras for different purposes. And I like the grainy film look of the Sony sometimes, sometimes I´d rather have the smooth files from the D3.

So in case you go for the NEX, you might be surprised about its Sony characteristics. Fairly smooth tonal transitions and good dynamic range, yet prone to graininess.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I think I will wait for some time.
I 've got my D5000 and a rich choice of lenses for portraiture in the studio and I will keep it until Sony comes with some professional lenses, especialy in the 2.8/40-85 range (80-170 mm).