Birding with 80-400VR and D700...

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Birding with 80-400VR and D700...

Post by Stany Buyle »

On different fora I was reading various comments about this great lens going from "this piece of junk..." over "unsharp..." to "excellent" and "best lens for handhold nature photography". I am one of those users who is extremely happy with this Nikkor...
I have this lens since a couple of years and had underwhile a 300 F4 as well, I sold the 300F4 because fixed focal teles are soo limiting...(subject too far, subject too close...), upto that the 300F4 is soo slow focusing and only a tad sharper than the 80-400VR @ F8...
For birding there are (much) better options indeed, but you have whether to carry a tremedous heavy piece of glass, barely possible for handhold shooting (200-400VR), a fixed focal like 300mmF2.8 with TC, 400VR F4 or 500VR F4 or even better the 500-800 sigma...Up to that all those options are extremely expensive...

Anyhow, I like the combination of versatility, weight, compactness, VR and sharpness, even @ 400mm...

Some samples:

and a 100% crop (changed the WB here)

and a 100% crop

Handhold @ 400mm

And with enough patience, for birds in flight, even not that difficult. The focus limiter can do wonders... For birds in flight, especially fast moving birds, a new version with AF-S would be very handsome...

and a 100% crop

and a 100% crop

The possibilities with the 80-400VR became much better with the appearance of the D3 & D700 (and D300) because of the much improved IQ @ higher iso and because of auto iso. I always use M mode with a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec or faster, F7.1 of F8 and auto iso. This works very well...

Thanks for looking.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
lenz
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Thanks for sharing..

Post by lenz »

Good shots. Only the goose a bit blur. But passable for A4 print with some PP.
MitalPatel
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Birding with 80-400VR and D700...

Post by MitalPatel »

Hi Stany B
i would say those are really gr8 pictures
i am fan of 80-400 because of its light weight and nice imagequality with the price tag.

i have posted some shots previously cropped though but i really enjoyed them very well and my bird list keeps growing with the d300 and 80-400 combo i have.
Mak (Mital Patel)
www.kevincreation.com