This is going to be hard to believe for some (img)

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

This is going to be hard to believe for some (img)

Post by DavidLake »

But this is a 3MP image from a 4 year old P&S. I had no idea what I was doing and just snapped this while on a hike. Who knew you needed 10MP+ and a tripod and fill flash and a macro lens and... Sometimes I wonder why I take my 25 lb pack with all my gear these days - I know my girlfriend wonders :)

I have been sorting through some 'oldies' (I have only been shooting 5 years, so this is old to me) and will be posting a few treasures here and there.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: This is going to be hard to believe for some (img)

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

nice pic and BTW 25lbs is not that heavy... I would dream of such a light bag :D

Guy
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by DavidLake »

Guy Van Hooveld wrote:nice pic and BTW 25lbs is not that heavy... I would dream of such a light bag :D

Guy
Geez, how heavy is you average hiking kit? I don't mind the weight, and I also have it carry my water, etc. But I have found some of my favorite pics to be taken with a camera that has a fixed lens, weighs less than a pound (a lot less) and has a sensor smaller than toe nail :)

My standard run around kit is: D3, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, Sigma 150-500. If I'm going far from camp, I will add a 2nd D3 or a D300. If I'm bug and flower hunting, I usually mount just the Sigma 150 macro, the R1C1 macro flash and SB900 on a D3 and leave the rest behind. I have never taken all of that - and likely never will.

I'm thinking of trying my new super-ultra-light kit for a day next hike. That would be my Panasonic LX3 (wicked little P&S) and the yet purchased ZS1 or ZS3. I'm not sure if the better video of the ZS3 justifies the $150 over the ZS1 since I never use video on any camera. Heck I've even bought and sold 3 camcorders in the last few years. If the lighting is good and you stay at base ISO or one stop up, these new tiny sensors are pretty good. And the in body/lens IS is still unmatched.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Vincent De Vos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Vincent De Vos »

Nice shot. For websize publication no need for 12Mp cameras...
Passioned by beautiful pictures, not a very active photographer though...
Regards,
Vincent

PS I use google translate a lot to write better English. So, if mistake, I's google, not me. ;)
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Thanks Vincent!

Post by DavidLake »

Not only is 12MP+ not needed. Sometimes a 'lousy' little JPEG from a 'crappy' P&S will do the trick too :)
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)