"Terminator" kingfisher with D850

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

"Terminator" kingfisher with D850

Post by Stany Buyle »

Underneath image was captured with D850 & nikon 200-500 at F5.6, M mode, (auto)iso 500, 1/1000 sec. Image taken handheld with VR on. Cropped from the original. The Original crop is 2403px longest side.
I'm happy with this picture because I never captured a Kingfisher with a fish speared on its beak before during many years and hundreds of hours of Kingfisher observation and photography on different locations.
The image was totally unprepared while I was taking pictures of a heron sitting in the other direction. All of a sudden I heard a splash in the water behind my back and I saw my little friend with a relative big fish speared on its beak. There was barely enough time to aim and shoot before he flew in the foliage.
D850 did a good job by nailing AF fast and accurate. I love the D850 & 200-500 combo.

The only PP that has been done was adding +0.66 EV and shadow lifting with ADL in NCNX-D. A tad sharpening in NC and © in PS5. NO noise reduction applied.

The original didn't look promising though, while underexposed...

I think that if I would have captured this image with my D500, with the same underexposure, the outcome would have been worse or even unusable because of noise.

Thanks for looking and kindest regards,
Stany
www.nikonuser.info
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe