Some birds in flight with 70-200AFS-VRII + TC20eIII on D700

Here affiliated forum members can post pictures...

Moderator: StanyB

Some birds in flight with 70-200AFS-VRII + TC20eIII on D700

Postby StanyB » Mon 25 Jan 2010 17:50

All 4 underneath shots are 50% crop of the original. Lighting condition was winter-sunny/clouded.

handhold with VR on @ 400mm, iso500, F7.1, 1/1600 sec, crop50%, localy sharpened in NX2.
Image

handhold with VR on @ 400mm, iso500, F7.1, 1/1600 sec, crop50%
Image

handhold with VR on @ 400mm, iso360, F6.3, 1/1600 sec, crop50%
Image

handhold with VR on @ 400mm, iso500, F6.3, 1/1600 sec, crop50%
Image

and another one in the original proportion
Image

and a 50% crop of the above picture
Image

I am amazed that this 70-200 F2.8-TCIII combo beats my beloved 80-400VR with a big margin about sharpness, and not unimportant, -and by a mile-, about AF speed...
But let's stay realistic: despite this amazing sharpness for a zoom with 2x TC, it's still quite far from the sharpness a 400mm nikon prime or the 200-400F4 can deliver...

Thanks for looking.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.nikonuser.info
User avatar
StanyB
moderator
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun 30 Nov 2008 15:05

Re: Some birds in flight with 70-200AF-S VRII + TC-20 E II

Postby Marc » Tue 26 Jan 2010 01:29

Very impressive Stany, are you using a DX or FX DSLR with this converter?

StanyB wrote: despite this amazing sharpness for a zoom with 2x TC, it's still quite far from the sharpness a 400mm nikon prime or the 200-400F4 can deliver...


Having owned the 200-400 (since sold & upgraded to my 500VR), I know that it's not easy H/H for long periods, which makes the 70-200 with this new 2.0tc a very viable option. ;)

Thanks for the images & review.

Cheers
Marc
"My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am"


D3|D300+MB-D10|17-35 |24-70|70-200VR|500 VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC1.4&1.7E|SB 900
Gitzo GT3540LS & GM3551|Markins M20|W'mbrly Sidekick|Jobo & Epson7000
Marc
AFFILIATED MEMBER
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu 21 Jan 2010 07:34
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Some birds in flight with 70-200AF-S VRII + TC-20 E II

Postby StanyB » Tue 26 Jan 2010 07:46

Goodmorning Marc,
Marc wrote:Very impressive Stany, are you using a DX or FX DSLR with this converter?

Thanks for reminding me, so I completed the title of this topic, I have a D700.
Marc wrote:
StanyB wrote: despite this amazing sharpness for a zoom with 2x TC, it's still quite far from the sharpness a 400mm nikon prime or the 200-400F4 can deliver...

Having owned the 200-400 (since sold & upgraded to my 500VR), I know that it's not easy H/H for long periods, which makes the 70-200 with this new 2.0tc a very viable option. ;) Thanks for the images & review. Cheers Marc

I tried the 200-400 F4 from Dr. Dusslier a couple of times and indeed, it's very heavy, but very sharp as well...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.nikonuser.info
User avatar
StanyB
moderator
 
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun 30 Nov 2008 15:05


Return to Nature, wildlife,macro, Fauna & Flora

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest