Nikon P300, why?

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon P300, why?

Post by Leen Koper »

Today Nikon announced the introduction of its compact camera P300. I was enthousiastic about it, thought of buying one and suddenly I noticed it lacked RAW. Why does Nikon introduce such a wonderful camera for enthousiastic photographers without making it possible to take any serious images? I am dissappointed.
Stany Buyle

Re: Nikon P300, why?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Leen,
If I would go for that kind of camera, canon G12 would be my choise.
Had the G2 those days and it was a great camera. Taking huge evolution into consideration, G12 must be fantastic.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

Hi Stany,

I fully agree with you, the Canon G12 or the Panasonic LX5 would be my camera of choice. That makes me wonder why Nikon anounced this little gem without adding RAW.
Would it be possible for Nikon to add a RAW modus afterwards with a software update? Not that they will do, but I am just wondering.
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Leen Koper wrote:That makes me wonder why Nikon anounced this little gem without adding RAW.
Don't understand this marketing action neither, it will send part of the potential public to Canon's G11/ G12...
Leen Koper wrote:Would it be possible for Nikon to add a RAW modus afterwards with a software update? Not that they will do, but I am just wondering.
No problem at all, and I think they will. If they don't it will appear as a hack I guess just like soo many non-implied features in Canon series have appeared later on as a hack in the Canon pocket cams. See here what these hacks are and click here for some downloads. :!: Take care: changing the original firmware makes you loose warrantee and always implies risks to make your camera unuseable until restore of the original firmware.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I know about the Canon hacks, but I never heard about Nikon hacks. Aren't they public or is it just me who has never heard about it?
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I did some research on the internet and came to the conclusion that there should be a firmware update of a camera before it can be hacked. As there are very little firmware updates for Nikon, that will explain why.
If not so, please correct me.