Steve, please tell us more about D800...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Steve, please tell us more about D800...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Steve, please tell us more about D800... :D

I was reading op Dpreview (mentioned by yourself) that you were handling a D800...
What were your initial impressions? Was it :o , :o :o, or :o :o :o :o :o ? :D
Did you order one?
A hypothetical question about D4 vs D800: If size and weight would be no issue, and taking in consideration that the rumoured specs are right(16Mp for D4 against 36Mp for D800), would you go for a D4 or for a D800?

And,... if 36Mp for D800 is correct...
How do you look towards the high pixel density in relation to diffraction?
How do you look towards the high pixel density in relation to the difficulies this might create for handhold shooting?

Thanks in advance for your reaction, ;)
Stany
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Steve Bingham
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Steve, please tell us more...

Post by Steve Bingham »

Hi Stany. :D I never did get to play with it! Sigh. I really can't answer your questions. The camera was a prototype and was taped. My friend was pretty closed mouth but he basically said what is on NikonRumors. I will more than likely get one, however pre-orders aren't being accepted by the two companies I do business with until the camera is announced.

Diffraction should not be a problem. Even with my D7000 I don't see any limiting diffraction even at f11. I just ran a test on four lenses at 85mm. I used 3 ISO 12233 charts and tested my:
Nikon 85mm f1.4
Nikon 16-85 VR
Nikon 18-105 VR
Nikon 70-300 VR
At f8 their resolution was only limited by the sensor on the D7000 - all four lenses!!! The 18-105 had some annoying CA but ACR got rid o that in the Lens Profile.

The 85mm fa.4 was purchased in anticipation of the D800. Without VR it is a little long with DX to hand hold under 1/125. Should be a little better with the D800.