AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

Post by Stany Buyle »

From the Nikon website:
A fast, medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens with a focal length of 85 mm and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 compatible with the Nikon FX-format
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G, a fast, medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens with a focal length of 85 mm and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 compatible with the Nikon FX-format.

The AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G is the new addition to the FX-format lens lineup. It utilizes an all new optical design allowing users to enjoy shooting portraits with pleasing blur characteristics only possible through fixed focal length lenses. Even with a fast maximum aperture of f/1.8, the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G is very lightweight at roughly 350 g, allowing users to easily carry their camera around with this lens mounted. The Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures not only quiet autofocus operations, but also makes autofocus shooting possible when the lens is used with entry-level Nikon DX-format digital-SLR cameras such as the D5100 and D3100, which are not equipped with an autofocus drive motor.

Nikon has long had the support of professional, advanced amateur and entry-level photographers for its consistent development of innovative products that respond to the demands of customers and are equipped with the optical technologies Nikon has spent years cultivating as a manufacturer of optical devices. Nikon intends to continue to expand and strengthen the NIKKOR lineup as well as improve customer convenience with the steady release of new, high-performance lenses that offer advanced functions.

.AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Primary Features
•A fast, medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens with a focal length of 85 mm and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 compatible with the Nikon FX-format
•An all new optical design that enables maximum utilization of digital-SLR camera capabilities in shooting high quality images
•Enables shooting of portraits with pleasing background blur characteristics only possible with a fast, medium-telephoto fixed focal length lens
•Very lightweight at approximately 350 g, even with the large aperture
•Equipped with a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing. Autofocus shooting is also possible when the lens is used with entry-level Nikon DX-format digital-SLR cameras such as the D5100 and D3100, which are not equipped with an autofocus drive motor.
•Equipped with two focus modes, M/A (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual)
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Steve Bingham

Re: AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G

Post by Steve Bingham »

. . . and available in March. Good buy for less than $500 (USA). However, once again Nikon failed to add VR to the lens - just like its newer 85mm f1.4.
For those using this on a DX body we are talking hand held shutter speeds of 1/130 or faster for very sharp hand held shots. Using the 85mm f1.4 my success rate for sharp pictures at 1/90 was around 65%. That's deliberately trying for maximum steadiness and using an ISO 122333 chart to measure accurately. Disappointed! :cry:

Meanwhile, testing my 16-85 VR against the 85mm f1.4 using ISO 122333 at 85mm on my D7000 showed that I ran into moire' and maze problems before I ran out of resolution on BOTH lenses. I think the sensor went into moire before I lost lens resolution. Hmmm. Maybe the ACR converter? I doubt it, but I am always willing to learn (meaning TESTS).
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

I agree. A missed opportunity not to include VR. Just wonder why?
My 1,8/85 will do. My 55-200 and 70-300 probably will show the same results as your 16-85. And, both do have VR!
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

Leen.
Indeed, my 70-300 VR at 85mm gave results very close to my 85mm f1.4G. I was very surprised, but 85mm is a sweet spot for the 70-300VR. :D I tested all four lenses on an ISO 122333 chart - same time, same camera, etc.
Nikon 85 f1.4G
Nikon 16-85 VR
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 18-105 VR

At 85mm they were amazingly close - except for the CA on the 18-105 (which was easily handled in ACR). The 85 f1.4G had less distortion, much better bokeh, and less vignetting. Truth is, 98% of the photographers out there would never see the difference.
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

98% would never see it; is't that 100% if not confronted to two almost equal images? :D