D800 detailed specifications

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D800 detailed specifications

Post by Stany Buyle »

List of the most important D800 product details on the Nikon website:
Stany Buyle

Some details which took my attention (quotes from Nikon site

Post by Stany Buyle »

From the Nikon website: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/features01.htm
Expand dynamic range: HDR (High Dynamic Range)
The D800/D800E can shoot two frames in a single shutter release, but at different exposures: one overexposed and one underexposed. The camera then instantly combines them to create an image covering a wider dynamic range. The range can be widened by up to 3 EV for different looks, all full of saturation and tonal gradation, while the smoothness of the edge where the two exposures meet can be adjusted for a more natural appearance.
Note: Tripod use is recommended.

Shoot achieving reduced blur with zoom lenses in dim light: Auto shutter speed control for auto ISO sensitivity control
The D800/D800E come equipped with an auto option for minimum shutter speed that automatically controls the balance between shutter speed and the ISO sensitivity based on the focal length of the lens being used. This can be particularly useful when using a zoom lens, because the camera can automatically choose the shutter speed to reduce camera shake. What's more, through the operation of ISO button and sub-command dial, auto ISO sensitivity control can be immediately turned on or off, without needing to enter the menu.

Shoot with multiple formats in one camera: Image area options
The D800/D800E offer four image area options: FX format (35.9 x 24.0 mm), 5:4 (30.0 x 24.0 mm), 1.2x (30.0 x 19.9 mm), and DX format (23.4 x 15.6 mm) with all cropped image areas visually masked in the viewfinder. DX format offers approx. 1.5x, and 1.2x crop offers approx.1.2x telephoto effect. When a DX NIKKOR lens is used, DX format is automatically selected.

Available focus points according to aperture

Contrast-detect AF that enables sharp focusing

kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

Incredible image detail with D800...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Based on the two samples I downloaded from the Nikon website the amount of detail you get with D800 is simply stunning...

The picture at iso100:
a 100% crop:

The picture at iso640:
a 100% crop:
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Different file formats...

Post by Stany Buyle »

What I find interesting for daily use of the D800 for someone who doesn't need always 36mp (Who needs ALWAYS 36Mp??? 8-) ) is the 9Mp mode in TIFF-S, 3680 x 2456= approx 9mp or M 5520 x 3680 = 20Mp. The quality of a tif file is way better with much more room for Pp than a jpeg. Upto that copy a tif file doesn't bring any loss in quality whereas every time you copy a jpeg or resave, it looses a bit...
You can open a TIFF file in ACR camera raw and PP like a RAW file :D but without the flexibility of changing camera settings :( .
Leen Koper

Re: D800 detailed specifications

Post by Leen Koper »

Stany, you wrote: "The quality of a tif file is way better with much more room for Pp than a jpeg".
Is that true? IMHO after processing the RAW file, there is no difference between a TIFF and a JPEG file in post processing.
Or am I wrong?
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

There is an enormous difference between a jpeg and a tif file.
An interesting read about jpeg vs tiff here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/imagetypes.htm
kindest regards,

Stany
sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by sandor »

Im surprized about the handling of the crop mode. Elsewhere, I read the viewfinder in crop mode was similar to the D700, but in the D700 it only masks the outer area if you chose not to illuminate the AF point. Now it is claimed that it masks like in the D3s and D4. Puzzled...
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

sandor wrote:Im surprized about the handling of the crop mode. Elsewhere, I read the viewfinder in crop mode was similar to the D700, but in the D700 it only masks the outer area if you chose not to illuminate the AF point. Now it is claimed that it masks like in the D3s and D4. Puzzled...
Hi Sandor, During the D4 D800 demo I asked the same question to the Nikon rep and he thought it's possible like with D3/D4 but he couldn't find the setting immediately and there were others waiting with many questions.... I would like to see it as D3/D4 but expect it to be as D700. The demo D800E was set with a simple frame in DX mode like D700..
sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by sandor »

So you prefer the D3s style DX mode, with a greyed out FX area ? Doesn't it work like looking through a double keyhole ?
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

sandor wrote:So you prefer the D3s style DX mode, with a greyed out FX area ? Doesn't it work like looking through a double keyhole ?
I would prefer that in case I would use DX with D800, using my future D800 in DX mode is not my intention though. If I need small files, I will shoot tif S and if I need a crop, I'll crop in PP.
sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by sandor »

Wise !
ADeVos
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by ADeVos »

And thanks one more time for the topic and reactions.
Greetings from Belgium
Andre