D800 is a game changer for macro photography

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D800 is a game changer for macro photography

Post by Stany Buyle »

Often with the appearance of one camera model' successor you might think long if it's worth the upgrade. If you consider D800 as an upgrade for D700 there is no need to think, it's a camera that has -with exception of appearance, size and PUFlash- barely something common with D700. The thing that makes D800 to be a game changer against the whole former (and actual...) Nikon line is its resolution, especially for macro shooting. Next to that the significantly improved AF system is a very remarkable achievement even though D700 was already very good on that territory... The D800' incredible AF system not only makes AF a pleasure to use even in situations where most macro shooters would choose for MF, but it also raises the "keepers rate" in a way that I feel no need for a camera with more fsp.

TMHO D800 is a game changing tool for macro photography for following reasons:
  • Shooting distance. You don't have to go close to the subject anymore to capture huge detail.

A sample:
    :!: Please notic that: The underneath pictures were all taken handhold. If I would have been able to use a tripod, IQ and sharpness would even have been significantly better.

The scene:
    Image taken handhold with D800 and nikkor 105 AF-S at iso 640, 1/1600 sec, F5.6, AF-C
    In this sample I chose a rather big aperture with relative small DOF as a result for 1) The picture itself, 2) For AF-accuracy check and 3) because I needed a fast shutter speed on behalf of sharpness because there was quite a lot of wind...

And a 55% crop of the above image. :!: Take care, the full size 55% crop is much bigger than this but I have to resize to 1024px longest size to fit on this forum.

And a "real" 100% crop:

And one more sample:
    The scene:

And a 55% crop of the above image. :!: Take care, the full size 50% crop is much bigger than this but I have to resize to 1024px longest size to fit on this forum.
    x
    x
  • Macro at higher iso. In case you shoot macro at high iso for reasons like not enough light to make the combination of shutter speed and a small aperture to get decent DOF, the impossibility to use a flash or because you hate the reflections a flash gives on the eyes of the insects, the D800' enormous resolution masks noise while you need less magnification. A 45% crop of a D800 file shows a bigger image than a 100% crop of a D3 or D700 file taken at the same distance...

Here below I posted some samples of the same scene shot at resp. iso 1600, iso3200, iso 6400, iso 12800, iso25600

:!: Please notice that:
    • All these image have been taken handhold with D800 and 105AF-S VR
    • These images have been captured while using spot metering on the white flower, which is basically the same as underexposing at least 1 stop.
      For this kind of shots I like to separate the subject from the background with exposure.
      While shooting low iso there would be no necessity to use spot metering while the D800 has a fantastic DR at low iso which enables correction of highlights and shadows in post processing. Shooting high iso obliges much more care about exposure in the way you want the final image to look like.
    • All images have been captured in NEF with picture control set to vivid and saturation a little pushed while I like that.
    • The images are resized without additional sharpening or post processing.
      x
    • Depending on the shooting circumstances and lighting conditions I always try to use the lowest iso possible and I would prefer using a macro flash system rather than to raise sensivity. With D700 and D3 I got good results for macro until iso 1600, with D800 -for macro- I probably might go up to iso 3200...
    Iso 1600

and a 33% crop resized to 1024 px longest side to fit on this forum

iso 3200

iso 6400

iso 12800

iso 25600

x
    x
  • Using AF for macro shooting. For quite long time I am using AF for 80-90% of my pictures because -since D700-, the camera simply does AF mostly better and much faster than what I can do with manual focusing.

About AF precision, AF speed and AF with a lens TC/combo or lens/extention tube combo D800(and D4) even work significantly better than their repectiverly predecessors D700 and D3s.
    During the D4 and D800 demo days at Art & Craft back in February I tested D4 AF precision with an extreme application:

I mounted my 3 kenko extension rings between the D4 and my 105AF-S and of course with a very limited DOF but handhold the D4 was autofocusing without problems.
    The setup of that I describe here above:
    And a result in a picture:
    Take care: F14 handhold and iso 12800!!!

Since D700 and 105 AF-S VR exists I changed manual focusing for macro to AF for about 80%-90 of my macro shots. With my D800 this will probably go to 100%...
Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, your own findings, critiques or remarks related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely yours,
Rita B, site owner.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
GregoryS
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D800 is a game changer for macro photography

Post by GregoryS »

Good article. Thanks, Stany.

Gregory
CDW
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by CDW »

Hallo Stany and Rita,

thank you for sharing your insights and experience.
Do you think that your ideas are also applicable to bird telephotography (I have the combination of D3x and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f-4G VR sometimes with TC 1.4 II) ?

Best regards,
Carlos
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Stany Buyle »

CDW wrote:Hallo Stany and Rita,
thank you for sharing your insights and experience.
Do you think that your ideas are also applicable to bird telephotography (I have the combination of D3x and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f-4G VR sometimes with TC 1.4 II) ?
Best regards,
Carlos
Dear Mr. De Wagter,
Yes, whereas D3, D3s and D3x AF module were optimised for lenses and lens/TC combinations until F5.6, D4 and D800 AF module is optimised for lens and lens/TC combos upto F8, which makes F4 lenses with the 2xTCIIIe work.
This D3/D3s/D3x/D700 to D4/D800 AF-module "upgrade" from F5.6 to F8 only works in the center AF points.

From the Nikon website:

I did the test with a D4 and a 300 AF-S F4 with 2xTCIIIe in relative lowlight and it was working flawless.
Here below a picture of my daugther with D4 + 300 AF-S and TCIIIe at iso 25.600, handhold.