D800e amazing sharpness straight out of the camera(100%crop)

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D800e amazing sharpness straight out of the camera(100%crop)

Post by Stany Buyle »

Two handheld snapshots of today confirming the amazing detail D800E delivers straight out of the camera, no sharpening, no post processing...
It also confirms that you can get amazing detail with D800 and D800E while shooting handheld.
Underneath samples are resized to 1024px longest side without any post processing and I added a 100% crop of the focus area, cropped from the original, again without any post processing...

First one taken at iso 100 while using the pop up flash, finally it was meant as a snap shot...
D800E and 70-200VRII F2.8 at F2.8, 195mm and 1/250sec and handheld.

And a 100% crop

Second picture taken at iso 1600, natural light, 1/320 sec, F4.5

And a 100% crop of the focus area:

Comments and critics are welcome, but be nice while it's my grandson on the picture... :D

Thanks and kindest regards,
Stany

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, your own findings, critiques or remarks related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely yours,
Rita B, site owner.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stany Buyle

About camera settings for the above images...

Post by Stany Buyle »

After I've got some mails requiring for the exif of the above pictures and questions about "sharpening or no sharpening":
With "no sharpening" I meant no additional sharpening in PP, even more, no post processing at all! Such a camera I was dreaming of for a long time. With my D3/D700 I always had to sharpen at least a bit.

Shooting NEF and using Nikon's picture control in the main time only works perfect if you use Nikon software (Capture NX or View NX) for post processing. That's why I prefer Capture NX over Adobe, by far.

Neutral setting has sharpness 2 on a scale of 9, standard setting has a sharpness of 3 on a scale of 9. The images in this topic were shot in standard setting.

From the first picture, with the in-camera sharpening reset to "0" you get this: (100% crop)

Also
in relation to noise this is a tremendous advantage. Raising the general sharpening level as I did with my Fuji S5pro and D3/D700 raises the noise in the backgrounds/skies as well. Local sharpening is in that case a better solution than general sharpening but it requires hours of fiddling on images in front of your PC, which I hate...

Kindest regards, Stany

Screenhot of the camera settings:

Stany Buyle

And about this...

Post by Stany Buyle »

And about this...
No need to worry, no dermatologist needed neither...

Just too many strawberries and some tears after his mom refused him to eat the 11th one...

:lol: :lol: :lol: