Dedicated zooms for video with Nikon DSLR, possible?

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Dedicated zooms for video with Nikon DSLR, possible?

Post by Stany Buyle »

I wonder why Nikon didn't bring some dedicated lenses for video with DSLR yet... :?
I know that professional videographers zoom and focus manual with DSLR but I'm not a videographer at all, just one among millions of others who would like to use his video enabled DSLR sometimes for some fun videos, or even an attempt for something more serious.
Why no power zoom for video with DSLR? Technical limitations?
Canon just brought a Rebel T4i / EOS 650D with a first STM lenses, which (on paper) should autofocus without the annoying recorded AF sound that actual lenses produce and ruin your video with :cry: ... I know T4i / EOS 650D uses some kind of hybrid AF module like Nikon 1, but still, such a lens would improve video with D800 a lot...

Your input would be appreciated.
MikeKobal
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: No

Re: Dedicated zooms for video with Nikon DSLR, possible?

Post by MikeKobal »

Nikon will probably release dedicated lenses for video with the D400 or whatever it may be called or even the D600, the video feature on the D800 and D4 is a serious attempt to pull even with 5D's video capacities and even surpass it with clean hdmi out, this mainly appeals to high end users and auto focus is not important for now