Too many "keepers" with D800... ;)

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Too many "keepers" with D800... ;)

Post by Stany Buyle »

A decade ago, with my D100 and tamron 90mm it was a challenge to get some keepers(where you could see all details) while shooting dragonflies handhold . Among the pictures you made, it was most of the time quite easy to find "the best one"... Limitations were AF speed and AF accuracy, iso which was considered already as high and noisy at iso 400, resolution (6Mp) and cropping possibilities, and more... Most of the time a tripod and macro flash system was the obliged way to go...

Now, using D800 with its 36Mp and incredible AF system while shooting handhold with 105AF-S VR + 2xTCIIIe, approx 90% are perfectly in focus and show the smallest details...

This morning I was shooting 76 files,-all handhold-, and more than 70 are perfectly in focus...

Today the challenge is not anymore to capture one where you can see the facets, the challenge is now to find the very best among +70 images of +40Mp each which are all about equally sharp... :? :roll:

Over 60 of a total of 76 shots taken have a comparable sharpness and detail like the sample underneath...

:!: BTW: For the sample underneath I auto focused with the extreme right focus point. (see underneath screenshot from NikonView)

and a 50% crop resized to 1024px longest side:

;)

Thanks for looking,
Kindest regards and a great weekend to all of you!

Stany.
http://www.nikonuser.info
Stany Buyle

100% crop of the focus area

Post by Stany Buyle »

A screenshot of the AF area as seen in NikonViewNX:

And a 100% crop of the AF area:

Not bad for auto focusing handhold with a 105macro + 2xTCIIIe ànd one of the outer focusing points... :D

D800 is a real game changer for macro photography...
ritaB

Re: Too many "keepers" with D800... ;)

Post by ritaB »

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
:!: :idea: :?: If you have questions, thoughts, critiques or remarks or if you want to share your own findings related to this or other topics on this forum: Join this forum starting by your registration now!! Everybody is welcome. :D Read about how to make a registration here.
Sincerely yours,
Rita B, site owner.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stany Buyle

Some more dragonflies from today...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Some more dragonflies from today...

link :arrow: Some more dragonflies from today...

Kindest regards,

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

About sharpness with outer focusing points, left & right...

Post by Stany Buyle »

In relation to the many topics on the internet about some D800 bodies cameras which -according to their owners-, seem to provide striking differences in sharpness while using the outer left and right focusing point I gave attention this morning to do a couple of shots with both outer focusing points...

One image with the outer left focus point:

and a 100% crop:

One image with the outer right focus point:

and a 100% crop:

And I seem having been extremely lucky having bought 3 D800's which all have a perfect focus module. I must add that my 3 body had severe "normal" backfocus but this was an easy repair for Nikon service center.
BTW, the above images are taken with small aperture, but I also tested them wide open and everything is fine...

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

About D800' detail and noise at iso 2000 (sample)

Post by Stany Buyle »

The original image resized to 1024px longest side:

And a 100% crop:

Detail is still there... :D Without any post processing or supplementary noise reduction. Conversion from NEF done is NX2.
Stany Buyle

D800 AF speed and focus accuracy with 105VR + 2xTCIII.

Post by Stany Buyle »

The day before yesterday I was testing my D800 with 105AF-S VR + 2xTCIIIe on insects in flight.
Of course these shots were taken handhold.

People who tried this kind of things already know that auto focusing with a macro lens combined with a 2xTC on insects in flight is difficult for any AF system and I did not succeed this very well with my D3 and D3s(very low keepers rate). With D800 it is going flawless though and keepers rate dramatically increased over my former Nikon DSLRs (D700, D3, D3s)... :o

Auto iso was on with max shutter speed of 1/800.
With a flash, a very fast shutter speed ànd the same lens/TC combo I believe I even can capture the facets of a hoverfly while in flight which would be quite a challenge for an AF system. Will try... ;)

Image taken handhold, VR off, 1/800 sec, iso 1250(auto iso), F11, spotmetering...

Cropped from the original and resized to 1024px longest side:

About the keepers rate: I did two sessions, once 8 pictures and once 5 pictures and out of this 13 pictures only 1 shot was OOF :o .

While some might not believe this keepers rate claim, underneath the screenshot of the shots in nikonview.

Focus accuracy and optical quality of the 2xTCIIIe:

Focusing speed and focusing accuracy with such a Lens/TC combo is one thing, optical quality of a 2x teleconverter is another thing... :roll:
In the early days of this forum I wrote a topic titled the nikkor 2xTCIIIe is an optical miracle.
Here underneath you can see a sample to illustrate that statement:
From the same session as the hoverfly in flight picture:

The scene:
(picture taken handhold with D800, 105AF-S VR with 2xTCIIIe, auto iso-iso 1250, F11, 1/800 sec. To my own surprise, VR was off!!!)

And a 100% crop: