strange encounter with Nikon Europe

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

strange encounter with Nikon Europe

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi everyone

I have had my D7000 and 16-85 combo since release.. Nov 2010.

I put the camera through a few basic steps when I got it.. fine Tune AF as with all the previous cameras I have had with the facility.. I eventually set it to -5 for the 16-85.

I noticed this year when using the 16mm end that even with a small aperture and focusing at something perhaps ten feet away I would get distant portions of the scene appearing quite soft.

I notice too that even focusing way into the distance.. 'infinity'.. the lend would not move the focus barrel much past 5ft. If I zoomed into the scene it would jump to infinity. I would keep the exposure /AF and zoom out again and press the shutter.. voila much better.

Before running out of warranty I contacted Nikon and sent them some examples. They said it was not obvious to them what the issue was.. I sent other photos. Then they said they could not determine a fault with AF tuning applied....

Well, and here's the strangeness.. I turned off AF tuning and went out purposely to demonstrate the problem. I instantly noticed the lens ability to focus closer to the infinity marking on the barrel. result much better sharpness in distant scenes !

I now thought, this will mess up the tuning I set prior for the other areas of the zoom range.. Testing revealed very little problem.. very minor back focus at 85mm with Tuning off.. (where it had needed it when I first tested it.

I'm embarrassed to have brought it up with them at all!

Absolutely no idea what has happened... I did the last FW update but didn't think it was associated with the 'fix' in that.. I will never know now.

Puzzled :o
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: strange encounter with Nikon Europe

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Alan,
Went through strange and severe backfocusing issue with 2 D7000s as you can read here. When they came back from Nikon repair they were autofocusing perfect with AF Fine tuning set to off. Later on I learned that they did a re-alignment of secondary mirror and AF sensor plane.
Stany.
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: strange encounter with Nikon Europe

Post by Alan Brown »

Thanks Stany

I'll look into this more closely... before it's goes past warranty.

Thanks again.