D600 discussion thread...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D600 discussion thread...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Goto this topic for detailed D600 specifications.

At first sight D600 looks very attractive to me, a light and relative small camera with loads of feartures and -I expect- stunning IQ.
Some differences with D800 are:
  • 1/200 flash sync speed against 1/250 for D800
  • 1/4000 shutter speed for D600 against 1/8000 for D800
  • 5.5fps for D600 against 4 fps for D800(in full resolution)
  • 39 points AF system against 51 for D800
  • :!: I read that D600 has a "really silent" mode. That's great and, -if so- very different to D800 and a bonus for nature photographers.
What's rather unclear for me is about AF fine tuning feature is available. It may sound like a feature that became so "standard" that they don't mention it anymore but at the other hand and after some chat with my Nikon insider "AA2", that person would like better a camera without AF fine tuning than with AF fine tuning because it brought lots of misery when used by people who don't really understand this application...

I ordered my D600 at Art & Craft some months ago and I hope to get it as soon as possible. While I expect D600 to be better at high iso than D800(E), I think D800E and D600 will be a magic team for wedding shooters and photography enthousiasts...

What's your opinion about D600?

Kindest regards,

Stany
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D600 discussion thread...

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi Stany

I think they will sell it in bucket loads... If the D700 hadn't been so heavy I might have kept it (esp with an f2.8 24-70 on it)

i'm not in the market for a change just yet.. I like the D7000 I have. i Miss the slightly cleaner higher ISO of the D700 but like the DR @ ISO 100 more on the d7000 which I do my best to achieve even if I have to use a tripod :)

It'll be interesting to get your feedback on this comparison as you will have had all three !

no doubt the cat will be among the pigeons on DPR... D4/D3 forum members are going to have a raft of newbies on their forum complaining about the output (soft at 200%, can't take photo of black cat in the coal cellar, focus is hunting... etc etc) after having spent 'so much money' and now having to learn how to use the d**n thing as well.. :(

Keep us posted please..

Thanks
Samjstern
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Stany is a brave man

Post by Samjstern »

Stany,
with the problems with the D800 I am waiting cautiously until this camera hits the shelves. You might be one of the first to get the camera

If it has AF fine tuning, this is a good thing.
Without it, we have taken a step backwards.

I also do lots of fill flash. The 1/200 flash sync is also a step backwards. I am puzzled whny Nikon engineers did this.

Thanks for being on top of Nikon news.

Sam
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

I hope to be able to handle the D600 on Tuesday at Photokina. People will flock to the Nikon stand, that´s for sure.
I´ll try to check out for you if it has AF-tune. Unline AA2 I believe it is a very important feature as some lenses focus differently with different apertures.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Thom Hogan says it has AF-Fintetune:
http://bythom.com/d600.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

Re: Stany is a brave man

Post by Stany Buyle »

Samjstern wrote:Stany,
...I also do lots of fill flash. The 1/200 flash sync is also a step backwards. I am puzzled whny Nikon engineers did this.
...Sam
Hi Sam, nice to read you here.
Some D600 specifications might be the way they are so Nikon can still sell some D800s...
Kindest regards,
Stany
makolvi
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Link to D600 video by Schulz brothers...

Post by makolvi »

Alan Brown wrote:Hi Stany
I think they will sell it in bucket loads... If the D700 hadn't been so heavy I might have kept it (esp with an f2.8 24-70 on it)
i'm not in the market for a change just yet.. I like the D7000 I have. i Miss the slightly cleaner higher ISO of the D700 but like the DR @ ISO 100 more on the d7000 which I do my best to achieve even if I have to use a tripod :)
It'll be interesting to get your feedback on this comparison as you will have had all three !
no doubt the cat will be among the pigeons on DPR... D4/D3 forum members are going to have a raft of newbies on their forum complaining about the output (soft at 200%, can't take photo of black cat in the coal cellar, focus is hunting... etc etc) after having spent 'so much money' and now having to learn how to use the d**n thing as well.. :(
Keep us posted please..
Hello!! Stany I leave the link to the video that made my friend Florian Schulz and Salomon Schulz, with three D600 I hope you enjoy a Greeting. ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

D600 Hands-On Field Test

Post by DiederikVP »

[youtube][/youtube]
No aperture control in movie mode he says... :(
pam.meier

Re: Nikon D600 24.3 FX DSLR

Post by pam.meier »

My cousin compared the D600 with his D700 he brought to Photokina and ordered one immediately. He was able to use his own Nikkor 24 1.4.
The only gripe he had with it was the dim view finder, but it is the same used in the D800. It feels solid and AF was very snappy, definitely no compromise there.

I have taken some NEFs with it that I can´t convert as of yet ;)
sandor
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by sandor »

It's definitely a decent cam, but I hate the implementation of A2 in AF-S. Although the manual suggests otherwise, setting it to the focus priority will still allow the shutter to fire when nothing is in focus. This sucks ! What's the logic ?
So I put this one down at Nikon.