THE lens Nikon should produce...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

THE lens Nikon should produce...

Post by Stany Buyle »

In the short period that I had a Canon 5D, the 24-105 F4 USM IS was about all the time on my camera. The 24-105, despite quite strong corner light falloff, was the finest and sharpest allround lens I ever used. Great sharpness, fantastic AF speed, relative compactness, fantastic colour output, IS and a great focal range. That lens pleased me soo much that I often considered to buy a second hand 5D with that great lens, not for the 5D but only for that lens... For actual Canon users the 24-105 vignetting isn't a problem anymore if you have the 5DMkII which has vignetting control...
The only alternative (and in some ways even better) in the nikkor lens lineup is the 28-105 F3.5-4.5: very good IQ, acceptable(quite fast) AF speed, fantastic focal range, half macro, but no VR... Upto that this magnificent lens isn't produced anymore... When I compare my 28-70F2.8 and my 28-105 side by side about sharpness, they are very close... BTW, I noticed a quite remarkable progress in the AF speed of this lens since the latest D700 firmware update.
Nikon should urgently release a modern version of this lens, with AF-S and VR, the 24-120 AF-S VR is simply not good enough for D3/D700 users...

Furthermore I would like to see a compact 70-210 F4(although there is a 70-300VR) and I believe Nikon should produce a modern version, with AF-S and VR of the 70-180 macro... The 80-400 AF-S VR(my personal favourite) would be attractive because of increased AF speed...
The prime update would be welcome but is less urgent for me, the 85 F1.4 can't become better, the 50mm AF-S is there, and for the wide angle the 14-24 is better than any prime in that range before...
Just my thoughts...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: THE lens Nikon should produce...

Post by Lil Judd »

Hi Stany & the Nikon board,

the 24-105mm L f/4 or is there a f/2.8 is a lens I have seen & just loved the build of from Canon. Nikon has an old one, but it's a f/3.5-4.5 as you point out. Check Bjorn Rorslett for feedback of it. I really see no reason for VR on it. But I seem to stay away from a lot of VR lenses just because I don't feel I need it. I think the 70-210 F4 to be updated it s dream as we have the 70-300VR & it does a great job. I've seen some amazing shots of even BIFs from it. That's a lens I'm planning to add to my lens setup just because it's a great easy to carry along for potential things lens.

As for the 70-180mm macro - that's one I'm trying to get my hands on. But as for VR - - I see no need for VR on a Macro, but I may well be the only one with that idea.

What I want to see is a reasonably priced 400mm f/4. Canon can do it so I see no reason for Nikon to be so difficult about it. I'll take a 5.6 - - but I don't want nor need a f/2.8 which costs about $ 8000 - that's insane.

I have to admit that Canon shooters have it better when it comes to their lens setup. I just can't stand the cameras - - they're too illogical to me. I can't even deal with their P&S cameras...

But that's just me....

Lil :-)
Lil :-)
Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Leen Koper »

If we all are allowed to publish our wishlist, here is mine: a 2,8/135VR lens. Obviously VR is cheap, and a 2,8/135 is a rather simple construction and very small too. It should cost less than 300 euro, so please, Mrs Nikon, do me a favour...
It would make a gorgeous portrait lens on an outdoor location on a small sensor camera.

(It is Mrs. Nikon and not Mr. Nikon, because I always get a lot more done from women. A kind of maternal love, I suppose.)
jhaas
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by jhaas »

Leen Koper wrote:If we all are allowed to publish our wishlist, here is mine: a 2,8/135VR lens. Obviously VR is cheap, and a 2,8/135 is a rather simple construction and very small too. It should cost less than 300 euro, so please, Mrs Nikon, do me a favour...
It would make a gorgeous portrait lens on an outdoor location on a small sensor camera.

(It is Mrs. Nikon and not Mr. Nikon, because I always get a lot more done from women. A kind of maternal love, I suppose.)

Hey Leen, i would like to see that lens also!
There is 1 thing for sure... it will not cost what u wished for, i bet it will be 135/f2 and cost 1300ish so there we go again...man can drean thought.

Jussi