Dust problem with D600

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Dust problem with D600

Post by DiederikVP »

Very well illustrated with a youtube movie by Kyle Clements. A sensor full of dust after 1000 shots.
Kyle Clements, a Toronto based artist and nerd, shares his hobbies, experiences and some other stuff with the YouTube audience in an ill-conceived attempt to gain fame and fortune.

[youtube][/youtube]

What's Nikon going to say now?
Nothing. 8-)
Steve Bingham
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Dust problem with D600

Post by Steve Bingham »

Well, I have a D600 I received in January, 2013, from B&H Photo in the USA. The serial number is 3060xxx. It arrived with zero dust spots or oil spots. None. Now at 200+ exposures it is still spotless! (blue sky at f16 and pushed hard in PS CS6 with levels and curves to accent any spots). I personally think they have found and fixed the problem. I am also sure that the fixing of all D600 cameras out there might take awhile. There are affected samples out there! :geek:
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

a view from some professionals.. yesterday

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi all

I have been monitoring this situation from a position of comfort (not being smug)

I have at present a D7000 which has not presented any of the problems that that was supposedly suffering from. I had no pressing need to change to a D600 instantly.

If you look past all the smoke and listen to the more experienced you find the situation is not dire at all. Some have been affected.. that's obvious and an annoyance too. :(

However I went to an open day at Calumet and spoke to the man who cleans sensors for them.... "Yes I do get the odd D600 in for dust... but I also get Canons" He said he cannot make a statement that any one is more or less likely to suffer from dust attraction.

I ordered one today. I used one at the store, indoors and under horrible mixed lighting. When I got home and seeing on my monitor, the same vibrant colours that I saw in the store, I was amazed.

Now have a D7000 and 16-85 to sell...

Alan Brown
Stany Buyle

Re: a view from some professionals.. yesterday

Post by Stany Buyle »

Alan Brown wrote:Hi all
I ordered a D600 today. I used one at the store, indoors and under horrible mixed lighting. When I got home and seeing on my monitor, the same vibrant colours that I saw in the store, I was amazed.
Congratulations. I think the dust issue is taken care about by nikon under while. Steve Bingham reported to have a dust free one as well.
What lenses will go along with your D600 for you?
Alan Brown wrote: Now have a D7000 and 16-85 to sell...Alan Brown
You can put it for sale here.
Kindest regards,
Stany
Steve Bingham

Post by Steve Bingham »

I currently use the sharpest lenses I can find for MY USE. In my opinion they are:
1- Nikon 24mm f1.4
2- Sigma 35mm f1.4
3- Nikon 50mm f1.8
4- Nikon 70-200 f4 VR

I chose these lenses using 4 main factors, in order of importance for me:
1- Resolution
2- Lack of flare
3- Lack of CA
4- Construction
Of course, you needs might be totally different.
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi Stany

I have a 24-120 VR 3.5-5.6 which has been a favourite lens for me. It not the league of the lenses you have been testing recently, Stany!

Perhaps it is not classed as stellar, but i never had the 'this is the worst lens ever' moment with that lens; it was best on my D700 (when I had it) and hoping for similar satisfaction. I just liked what it did for my photography

I also have a Sigma 70-300 (APO version) HSM that is great between 70-220mm and gets progressively softer afterwards.

I'll research what is available after judging the 24-120's output on the new camera when it comes Monday.

Seeing that there is a items for sale section, I think I will put it up. Thanks