Question Nikon R1 macro flash

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Question Nikon R1 macro flash

Post by BrianSmith »

Can anyone who has this system or perhaps the R1C1 help me with a couple of questions?

I'm trying to decide on a macro flash system but all the alternatives seem to have downsides/compromises.

1. I have an SB800 which can trigger the R1 kit. Does it communicate using the flash or IR? Does it have to flash itself?
2. I have the Nikkor 60mm micro and the Tamron SP 90 Di macro. Both of these are screw driven. I've seen suggestions that you can only focus manually with the R1 kit attached because of its weight. Is this true? Does this matter?
3. Setting up the SB800 as commander looks impenetrably difficult from the SB800 manual. Is this true or is it my pain killer induced brain fog? Is the SU800 any better on the full and hideously expensive R1C1 kit?

Any votes for the Sigma EM140, the new Metz or the Rayflash?

TIA
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Question Nikon R1 macro flash

Post by Lil Judd »

I'm ordering the Ray flash here http://www.expoimaging.net/product-deta ... sh_Adapter

One of the guys in my photography group has it & it seems rather nifty.

Lil :-)
Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Any votes for the Sigma EM140
Hi Brian,
I had the sigma on my Canon 5D set and it was simply great for the price. If I would buy a macro flash again, I would go for this Sigma.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

I've made an impetuous decision. I've ordered an Orbis. I won't be using it for many shots in a row so having to hold it isn't going to be much of a problem. If it is I'll make a bracket. I didn't like the idea of hanging half a kilo on my SB800 (Rayflash) and it gives me the alternative of using it as a diffused source of light off camera. It will also allow me to use the AF of the screw lenses without straining them. I ordered the SC-29 to go with it so I will be able to use the SB800 off camera now on its own and still get focus assist. I'm hoping this is win-win but I'll come back and report when I've got it and played with it.
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Lil Judd »

Sounds good - please let us know. :-)

Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

The Orbis has landed!

Post by BrianSmith »

It arrived in 2 days from ordering and I'm very pleased. A couple of rubber bands sorts out the potential problem of the SB800 falling out of it and the weight is not too much of a problem if you are only doing a few shots. If I was doing a studio photoshoot (perish the thought) I would definitely make a bracket so it moved around with the camera. The lighting appears excellently even and it's going to revolutionise my shots of our hens and geese.

I am posting some experimental shots in member's images.