D600 ..so far so good

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

D600 ..so far so good

Post by Alan Brown »

I have had the D600 for about a week now..

I'm not going to say anything definitive about the camera as a whole (too early for conclusions) from my point of view but only what I can say that has been obvious to me.

I went to a favourite place yesterday; Baddesley Clinton (West Midlands UK) I have visited this National Trust site many times and taken very similar shots, esp when having new equipment. Turns out It was only February last year with my D7000 and remarkably, in similar lighting!

First observation. Apart from taking longer to open in ViewNX.. the files great straight away and very close to the scene as I remembered just using Standard mode. They are also very flexible to work on. It can handle the indoor, high contrast scenes, very well. No surprise to many here I suppose.

Second; What a joy ot have the low noise of the D700 FX, but still have the shadow push freedom of the D7000 I have.. very pleased.

Still getting to grips with it.. but enjoying it a lot.

regards to all

Alan
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: D600 ..so far so good

Post by Stany Buyle »

Alan Brown wrote:I have had the D600 for about a week now..I'm not going to say anything definitive about the camera as a whole (too early for conclusions) from my point of view but only what I can say that has been obvious to me.
I went to a favourite place yesterday; Baddesley Clinton (West Midlands UK) I have visited this National Trust site many times and taken very similar shots, esp when having new equipment. Turns out It was only February last year with my D7000 and remarkably, in similar lighting!
Pictures to post? :?:
Alan Brown wrote:First observation. Apart from taking longer to open in ViewNX.. the files great straight away and very close to the scene as I remembered just using Standard mode. They are also very flexible to work on. It can handle the indoor, high contrast scenes, very well. No surprise to many here I suppose..
I'm using a modified standard mode(*) as well while shooting RAW. Nikon View nx and Nikon Capture keep those settings also in RAW and they are perfect for 90% of my use.
(*) I pushed +1 for sharpness, +1 saturation and +1 for hue
Alan Brown wrote:Second; What a joy ot have the low noise of the D700 FX, but still have the shadow push freedom of the D7000 I have.. very pleased.
Yes, that generation of NiSon ( ;) ) sensors is incredible... About DR, Nikon blows away the competition.
Alan Brown wrote:Still getting to grips with it.. but enjoying it a lot..
That's what counts...
Alan Brown wrote:regards to all, Alan
thanks for posting your initial findings.
Kindest regards,
Stany
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi Stany

I must be a creature of habit.. I looked back over the last three camera's files and I have quite similar photos of the same scene. Probably an excuse to test out the new gear and comparing.

The date of taking the photos are close to the same month of the year. With this particular place it is the beginning of their open season. As we tend to go on fine days. there is no surprise I have similar photos for comparison, really

So in this DPR album I have included images from "2010 with D700, 2011 with D7000 and this week with D600. The photos show the dates and camera/lens used.

Take a look.. i do see the resolving power of the pixels of the D600 in the original files even with the 'less than stellar' 24-120 VR I* used. (I had to crop the D600 file down to the d7000 ratio/pixel dimensions, as they would not upload otherwise.

If I keep away from the 24mm setting (unless out of focus, it's not critical or on a tripod with f16) I am impressed with the lens on the D600 without going mad at sharpening.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/72925 ... 600-images" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DPR albums are convenient for this kind of purpose :)

Thanks

Alan
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Alan Brown »

When I said above..' I will keep away from 24mm setting' I mean't when 'needing' sharp corners. They are little soft there but as I said.. If it's not necessary or part of the story.. why not.

Alan
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Alan Brown »

Hi all

I'm getting more use out of the D600 esp since I have had some time and weather better here (UK) for a time.

Below; A new found respect for Birders... I found I have poor technique (and probably settings) for anything moving.. the Heron was ok static but following it was not easy.. I got the beak in relative focus but the wings obscured most of its head! A brilliant photo of its back though :)

Moor Hen running across the water was obviously too slow a shutter speed.. but i still like it!

I'm pleased with the DR and colours.. you can really push these files easily.

here are a few..

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/72925 ... d600-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alan Brown
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Alan Brown »

Here are a few from a recent visit to a National Trust site in the UK

Attingham Park..

The setting in the lavish dining room was literally by (electric simulated) candle light. You could hardly see anything on the table and was wondering 'if' the AF would work at all.

These are random photos of the tour

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/72925 ... ngham-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

With some processing I suspect they could improve.

ps.. No spots :)