Help me D3 to D3x transition

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

antoinerose
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Help me D3 to D3x transition

Post by antoinerose »

Hello,
Just sold my D3 & D3x on its way.
I bought the "x" for another kind of work where I need big files.
But some times I'm still requested to shoot events & parties.
With the D3, I was quite okay with the following settings:

D3, 3200 iso, Speed 1/8 to 1/15s; SB900 TTL (no BL) with exposure comp -1 to -1,5; Lumiquest pocket bouncer on SB-900. Shot RAW. Edit in LR2.

Now with limited iso of D3X what would you suggest as optimal settings for parties & event ? I'm a bit afraid of shooting raw due to the huge files & PP time needed. I just need basically 6mPix. Shoting JPEG would prevent me to keep some "security" vs NEF.
It's a pity Nikoin does not have a "small RAW" option such canon.

Quick gallery of the lawyers' "conférence Berryer" in Brussels. So you see the style of event. There is always an awful mix of lighting.
http://www.coolpix.be/cjb/081211/berryer/part2/

Any D3x event shooters around here ?

Thankl for help.
pam.meier

Re: Help me D3 to D3x transition

Post by pam.meier »

Hi Antoine, was there no way to keep the D3 for sports and events?
What about using the D3X in crop mode, would that help RAW file sizes?
Actually a D40 would do fine here ;)
antoinerose
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by antoinerose »

pam.meier wrote:Hi Antoine, was there no way to keep the D3 for sports and events?
What about using the D3X in crop mode, would that help RAW file sizes?
Actually a D40 would do fine here ;)
Budgetwise, I could not afford to keep both.
Crop mode why not I need to give a try. Not ideal tough.
Jpeg medium at 1600 iso might be fine but gives less room to post prod. Exposition & WB need to be spot on.
I've bought a CBL lens (on its way) will review it here. Looks a great accessory
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Stany Buyle »

pam.meier wrote:Actually a D40 would do fine here ;)
Respectfully disagree, framerate of a D40 is much too slow for this kind of photography, next to slow AF speed.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

@Stany, I mean, you can do event photography with a D40 fine, sports is different. I have done an event with a D40X as backup ;) It won´t impress customers, though, which is sometimes important. But the 6 Mpix files really are clean at high iso and perfectly usable.

@Antoine, if you use Photoshop actions, you can automatically downrez images to 6 Mpix for event shooting needs. Noise should be less visible then. To me the WB issue is so critical I wouldn´t dare shoot anything but RAW. Let´s see how that CBL works.
antoinerose
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by antoinerose »

Before digital, I shot 35mm Kodak 400 iso on a D90 & the customers were happy.
I've shot parties with the worst nikon ever made, the D2H (with regards to noise)The problem is that customers get used to quality.
The D3 is now the landwark whom the others compare to.
Let see how it works with the "X" I will give you update next weekend ;-)
pam.meier wrote:@Stany, I mean, you can do event photography with a D40 fine, sports is different. I have done an event with a D40X as backup ;) It won´t impress customers, though, which is sometimes important. But the 6 Mpix files really are clean at high iso and perfectly usable.

@Antoine, if you use Photoshop actions, you can automatically downrez images to 6 Mpix for event shooting needs. Noise should be less visible then. To me the WB issue is so critical I wouldn´t dare shoot anything but RAW. Let´s see how that CBL works.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Antoine, you sure will be a much envied man! I bring the biggest cameras I have for assignments, so customers won´t doubt I´m a pro and
I know of other colleagues who do that, too. Mmy customers couldn´t tell the quality difference between D3 and D40X files, though.