D2H first image ERR - interesting findings

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D2H first image ERR - interesting findings

Post by Stany Buyle »

:arrow: related topic on this forum: Having fun with old Nikon DSLRs...

I just got a D2H for collection purpose and I was warned that the camera had the ERR message on every first picture after switching off the camera.

Curious as I am but not in relation with ERR message I was searching for the D2H latest firmware. My camera had A and B on 2.01.
Checked on the Nikon official website and I found a newer firmware for D2H - A: 2.02- that has been released on 2006, March 21st, in the period D2Hs was already available.

Downloaded the firmware and copied to a CF card and installed it.
  • First of all images look less noisy at high iso (I guess like D2Hs, finally it's the same sensor) You can see an exemple of an image with D2H at iso 1600 here.
  • AWB seems to be more accurate under artificial light.
  • AF seems faster (this might be just an impression...)
  • But I was very amazed that the ERR message with the first picture does not show up anymore... :o :o :o
Kindest regards,

Stany
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: D2H first image ERR - interesting findings

Post by Leen Koper »

It once again shows the importance of updating ones software on a regular base. It often concerns unimportant issues, but sometimes you will meet something important. And it is so easy to do.