Question about D700 flash commander mode..

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

photoforfun
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Question about D700 flash commander mode..

Post by photoforfun »

I've been using the pop up flash in commander mode often for macro together with my SB-800. I diffuse the built-in flash and get good results...
I want to try some portraits of people using the commander mode but I don't want the built-in flash to fire, only command the SB-800... How can I do that, the manual isn't very clear about that (at least to me)...I tried the setting for pop-up flash to "--" but it keeps firing...
Thanks in advance for your input.
Kindest regards, Stany
I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second... http://www.fotografie.fr/
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Question about D700 flash commander mode..

Post by aclphoto »

I shoot a D3 and 300 so this may not be perfect but you can get to where you need to go if you know the 700s menu

You need to go into your custom settings menu.... Bracketing and Flash menu... built in flash.... commander mode... somewhere in there is the ability to change the settings of your groups/channels...
All you need to do is change the built in (main) flash to "--" in order to turn it off.

Hope this helps.
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by aclphoto »

OHHH sorry I just reread your post and saw that you already knew what I just posted...

The flash will still fire but it fires a milli second before the shutter fires... thus communicating to the remote flashes. BUT In some cases (mostly macro) the pop up can still expose in your image... the best way to avoid this is to put a difuser over the pop up... this will prevent the bleed over of light... however with subjects at a distance this should not happen.

But the NCLS uses "pre flash pulses" to communicate the exposure information to the remotes and tells them to trigger... the only way to COMPLETELY eliminate this problem is to use the SU-800 which uses IR not preflash to communicate. But it's got a hefty price tag on it.

Again sorry about the previous post!
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
Guy Van Hooveld

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

normally the preflashes you see do not contribute to the lighting. The ultimate solution is to use an SU-800, communicating by infrared.
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki