Nikon D4s : To upgrade or not to upgrade... My thoughts...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D4s : To upgrade or not to upgrade... My thoughts...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Several friends of mine and myself have tried the new Nikon D4s, and they sometimes own D3, D3s or D4. I actually use D800e and had D3 and D3s for years.
Some people asked me if they should upgrade to D4s or not...

This is my opinion:
  • If you have a D3 and/or lots of ambition and money, than yes, definitely, go for D4s.
  • If you have D3s, upgrade only if you have too much money or if you want/need the latest or if you do video...
  • If you have D4, there are no rational reasons to upgrade because it's about the same. Of course, if you have too much money... go for it.
    • Nikon D700 to > D800 and D800e was a revolutionary upgrade.
      Nikon D3 to > D3s was a fantastic upgrade for several reasons (higher iso, two card slot, AF, and much more...). An independent opinion here.
      Nikon D3s to > D4 was a minor upgrade for photo, big improvement for video
      Nikon D4 > D4s is just a refresh, like D600 > D610 or even less "refreshing"... 8-)
  • To buy a second hand D3s today, -in perfect condition- is a VERY good idea. :o
    To buy a second hand D4 right now, for an interesting price, might be the best buy you can do...... :o :D
    :idea: Nikon is very good in marketing. :lol:

:arrow: Related topic: D3s vs D4, samples at diff isos and 100% crops
The above opinion when you use your camera for photography. If you do video, my opinion is a little different.

Just my thoughts and personal opinion.

Kindest regards,

Stany