Nikon D4s, lamest Nikon upgrade ever?

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D4s, lamest Nikon upgrade ever?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon D4s, lamest upgrade ever? I wonder and compared with some former Nikon upgrade releases...

D1 --> D1H (still have both) A very significant upgrade in the early days of pro digital bodies. Basically the same 2.7Mp sensor but menus, handling and IQ improved significantly. I love my D1H and still use it from time to time because of the gorgeous colours SOOC.
D2h --> D2Hs was a significant upgrade in terms of noise (I still have my D2H, searching for a D2Hs for collection purpose)
D2X --> D2Xs was .. some kind of an upgrade with some tech improvements and a bigger LCD

D7000 --> D7100 , just a trick to hide some troubles with the Original D7000 (*)
D600 --> D610, just a commercial trick to start selling initially crippled D600 bodies which were plenty of dust and oil because of a defective mirror system... (*)

D3 --> D3s was not just an upgrade :o :o :o :o , but worth a new number. TMHO this camera should have been called D4. You can see my D3s vs D4 comparison here. D3s is still a great choise to buy today for photography (not for video though).

D4 --> D4s, A new name for about the same :lol: ... (*) I need to mention that D4s seems to have some significant video improvements over D4.

(*) = The above are just my thoughts and personal opinion after having talked with pro users who have both D4 and D4s or who did the upgrade, no statements whatsoever... ;)

Kindest regards,
Stany