Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue

Post by Stany Buyle »

Photographylife.com found a thermal noise issue with Nikon D810. You can the read details on their website.
Stany Buyle

Nikon Europe about Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon Europe explained about the issue on their website under Support & Downloads Article 61871 .
It says:
Date published 18/08/2014
To users of the Nikon D810 digital SLR camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

We have received a few reports from some users of the Nikon D810 digital SLR camera indicating that bright spots are sometimes noticeable in long exposures, and in some images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).

After looking into the matter, we have determined that bright spots may occasionally be noticeable when shooting long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20).

Nikon service centers will service these cameras that have already been purchased as needed free of charge to the customer.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected products
To check whether or not your camera is one of those affected by this issue, please click the Affected Product Serial Numbers button below and enter your D810 serial number as instructed. Your camera’s serial number will be checked against those of the affected products. If your camera is one of those affected, you will be given additional instructions. If your camera is not one of those affected, you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue.

> Affected Product Serial Numbers
Please be aware that cameras with a black dot in the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera body, like that shown in the photo below, have already been inspected and the necessary adjustments made to prevent this issue from occurring. Therefore, if your camera has the black dot, you may continue to use the camera without concern, even if its serial number is one of those indicated above.

Servicing of affected products
Please consult your nearest Nikon service center if you own a D810 affected by this issue. They will keep your camera, and modify some of the image sensor adjustment values and update your camera’s firmware to resolve this issue. After servicing, the occurrence of bright spots in long exposures, and in images captured at an Image area setting of 1.2× (30×20), will be reduced. As image resolution and sharpness have been increased with the D810, even after cameras are serviced to resolve this issue, bright spots may be more noticeable in exposures longer than 30 s than they were in images captured by previous cameras with the same exposure time. Should this be the case, bright spots can be further reduced by setting the D810 Long exposure NR function to On. Please consult your instruction manual – page 124 / 299 for further details.

Please accept our thanks for your understanding regarding this matter. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality photographic products and hopes that you will continue to choose Nikon for your imaging needs.
Stany Buyle

Repair procedure for the Nikon D810 Thermal Noise Issue

Post by Stany Buyle »

After entering my D810 serial I am invited for updating the firmware at Nikon service even though I did not see anything wrong. I phoned Nikon repair this afternoon and they told me I can go there and just wait for it.
Apparently it's a 10 minutes procedure with a firmware update. When I asked if it cannot be done by myself like a normal firmware update they answered that unfortunately it has to be done at Nikon service center.

10 minutes procedure but I have a 2 x 200km drive :( ... I prefer a 400km drive over sending by UPS or waiting a week when it goes through a dealer though..
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe