D700 disappointment

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

stuarth
AFFILIATED MEMBER

D700 disappointment

Post by stuarth »

Now, it could be me....
I had a d300 which I gave to my daughter and bought a d700. She has a 70-300mm and 18-200mm and I have a 70-400, 10-17 and 24-70mm. So, reasonably well equipped.
First thing notice is that the d300 produces sharper pictures under all circumstances. I have tried every combination of lenses etc imaginable. This could be me though.
However, yesterday I took photos of tulips on my terrace. All, except the red ones, came out nicely. I attach a red one. This is an example and I will post a 'better' version later but they all seem the same. The red is just a blob with little contrast or edges. I have taken this same photo using the 80-400mm and it is slightly better than the 24-70. The variants I have tried include - colour temperature 3350-6000k, Dlighting on or off, point or 3d focus, p[Thumb=][/Thumb]icture control neutral, vivid or standard or adjusted by me, RAW, Jpeg, flash or not and probably some others. In each case the photos is vacuous blob with no detail.

Any clues? Is it possible I have a duff camera sensor or is it me?
I saw a dragonfly posted by someone with a level of detail and sharpness I can't acheive under any circumstances even using nx2.
advice before I buy a Canon?

Seems I can't post images, so until I get this sorted out, does anyone have any clues for me or has seen this behaviour before?

thanks
stuart
stuarth
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D700 disappointment

Post by stuarth »

Just looked at the histograms of the photos and the red has a 100% spike at the far right - why?
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

How to post a picture on this forum...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Seems I can't post images, so until I get this sorted out, does anyone have any clues for me or has seen this behaviour before?thanks
stuart
How to post a picture on this forum is explained here: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/view ... ?f=53&t=16
Try to post them this way, I'll reorganise your topic if necessary afterwards.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
stuarth
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by stuarth »

The images are on my PC and not a URL - can copy/paste be made to work?
The more I look at some of the photos you take with the same camera and lenses as me, the more I am sure I have a lemon...you will see.
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

stuarth wrote:The images are on my PC and not a URL - can copy/paste be made to work?
It is not possible to copy paste pictures to a forum in general, but you can easily upload pictures on a hosting service, and there are many free services available on the net. The one I recommend is flickr, you can create an account, upload pics and then link to them from any message you post, here or somewhere else...
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
James

Post by James »

stuarth wrote:Now, it could be me....
I had a d300 which I gave to my daughter and bought a d700. She has a 70-300mm and 18-200mm and I have a 70-400, 10-17 and 24-70mm. So, reasonably well equipped.
First thing notice is that the d300 produces sharper pictures under all circumstances. I have tried every combination of lenses etc imaginable. This could be me though.
However, yesterday I took photos of tulips on my terrace. All, except the red ones, came out nicely. I attach a red one. This is an example and I will post a 'better' version later but they all seem the same. The red is just a blob with little contrast or edges. I have taken this same photo using the 80-400mm and it is slightly better than the 24-70. The variants I have tried include - colour temperature 3350-6000k, Dlighting on or off, point or 3d focus, p[Thumb=][/Thumb]icture control neutral, vivid or standard or adjusted by me, RAW, Jpeg, flash or not and probably some others. In each case the photos is vacuous blob with no detail.

Any clues? Is it possible I have a duff camera sensor or is it me?
I saw a dragonfly posted by someone with a level of detail and sharpness I can't acheive under any circumstances even using nx2.
advice before I buy a Canon?

Seems I can't post images, so until I get this sorted out, does anyone have any clues for me or has seen this behaviour before?

thanks
stuart
Hi Stuart,

I think that the Nikon is probably weakest in the reds anyway, last time I was shooting roses I had to adjust the exposure by about a stop and it still clipped a bit even in raw. Adobe products make the problem even worse as they add brightness to an image by default in the raw conversion.

If you really can't get on with it then I'll happily swap you my D300 for your D700 though :)