- Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR vs 80-400 AF-S VR on D750 at 400mm and F5.6
- Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR vs nikon 300mm F4E-VR-FL at F5.6 on Nikon D750
- All files from this test for download - Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR on D750
- All files from this test for download - Nikon 80-400 AF-S VR on D750
- All files from this test for download - Nikon 300 F4E VR AF-S on D750
- All files from this test for download - Nikon 400 F2.8 VR AF-S on D750
- Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR vs Sigma 150-600 "C"
- nikkor AF-S 200-500 VR vs primes on D810- with refined testing method
- The 200-500 AF-S VR at 300mm and F5.6 compared to the nikkor 300mm F4E FL VR on D810
- The 200-500 AF-S VR at 400mm and F5.6 compared to the nikkor AF-S 400mm F2.8E FL VR on D810
- Nikkor AF-S 200-500 VR vs primes on D810 - all test files
When I got my 200-500 AF-S two weeks ago I noticed soon that this lens is amazingly sharp, also wide open...
and a 100% crop:
While I know that enthusiasm can fool human's ability to observe rationally I did (twice (*)) a controlled test where I compared the 200-500 AF-S against the 80-400 AF-S, the sigma 150-600 C and 3 primes: The nikon 300 F4D, the nikon 300F4E FL-VR and the 400mm AF-S VR F2.8.
(*) The repeated test came after the results of the first test seemed too favorable for the 200-500 taking into account the general rule that primes should be (significantly) sharper than a zoom...
I compared them at F5.6 and F7.1.
Test conditions were:
- Tripod, and special pro tripod for the 400 F2.8
- AF with LV to avoid possibility of AF fine tuning errors
- Self timer set at 2 second
- exposure delay set at 1 sec
- lighting with softbox
- Aperture and shutter speed set manually.
Distance to the test target was 5.6 meters.
I cropped each image to the test target outline. You find the full size crops further in this topic.
Size of the target crop depending on the focal, 200, 300, 400 or 500mm...
Support www nikonuser.info and forum with a donation...