Nikon D500, the long time awaited D300 successor...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

admin
site administrator
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D500, the long time awaited D300 successor...

Post by admin »

From the Nikon website:

Nikon's flagship DX-format digital SLR camera offering the supreme performance of the D5 in a compact, lightweight body

D500 Primary features
1.Powerful 153-point AF achieves superior subject acquisition performance across a wide range of situations
The D500's Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module offers a dense configuration of 153 focus points (99 cross sensors) that covers an extremely wide portion of the image area, meaning that even fast-moving subjects can be acquired precisely. AF capability is extended down to -4 EV* with the central point and -3 EV* with all other points, making AF usable even in extremely low light or when shooting low-contrast subjects. A newly employed AF engine and 180K-pixel RGB sensor also contribute to achieving exceptional AF performance in a variety of scenes.
*ISO 100, 20°C/68°F.

2.High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps for up to 200 shots (14-bit lossless compressed RAW)
The D500 delivers high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps*1 for up to 200 shots in JPEG and in 14-bit lossless compressed RAW, without any drop in shooting speed. Even moving subjects can be tracked accurately across a wide field of view at this rapid rate, taking advantage of the camera's stable viewfinder image and a widest-ever diagonal viewing angle*2 of approx. 30.8°.
*1Approximate frame rates for a fully charged EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, using continuous-servo AF, a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and with other settings at default values.
*2*As of January 6, 2016, among D-SLR cameras using an APS-C size image sensor. Based on Nikon research.

3.Unique benefits of a compact DX system — added agility in telephoto shooting
Nikon's DX-format D500 provides an angle of view equivalent to that of a lens with an approx. 1.5x longer focal length*1. This permits telephoto shooting using smaller, lighter lenses with a shorter focal length, while taking advantage of performance that rivals the D5 FX-format flagship model. The camera's agility is also enhanced by the kit lens, AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR, the lightweight 5x normal zoom lens, which weighs only approx. 1340 g/2 lb 15.3 oz*2 when attached to the D500.
*135mm-format equivalent.
*2Including battery, XQD memory card and lens.

4.4K UHD video, suitable for professional productions
The D500 can record 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)/30p/25p/24p as well as 1080/60p video for up to 29 min. 59 s*1, with simultaneous output via HDMI available. It is also possible to generate 4K UHD time-lapse movies within the camera. In Full HD or HD mode, the D500's electronic Vibration Reduction function*2 reduces the effects of camera shake in the horizontal, vertical and rotational directions during hand-held movie recording, while Active D-Lighting preserves details in highlights and shadows to capture footage with natural brightness.
*1Recorded in separate files.
*2Image area will be slightly smaller in DX-based movie format.

5.New EXPEED 5 image-processing engine achieves sensitivity up to ISO 51200, expandable to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 1640000)
The D500's new EXPEED 5 image-processing engine, as used in the D5, delivers standard ISO sensitivity from 100 to 51200, expandable down to Lo 1 (ISO 50 equivalent) and up to Hi 5 (ISO 1640000 equivalent). It can capture exceptionally high-definition images, while effectively reducing noise even at high ISO settings. The new 180K-pixel RGB sensor (approx. 180,000 pixels) further improves the performance of the camera's Advanced Scene Recognition System, and its flicker reduction for still images reduces exposure variations even under flickering light sources.

6.Touch-screen, tilting 8-cm/3.2-in. high-resolution monitor ensures more comfortable shooting for professionals and advanced amateurs
The D500's touch-panel monitor enables a variety of functions, including instant switching of images using the frame advance bar and text input — shared with the D5 — as well as touch AF and touch shutter (in still shooting). The tilting monitor with 3-axis hinge structure allows you to shoot from more flexible angles for stills and movies. And its large 8-cm/3.2-in. screen with significantly enhanced 2359k-dot resolution lets you confirm focus in amazingly precise detail.

7.SnapBridge support lets you link with a smart device via Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi®
The D500 can be constantly connected to a smart device* with the SnapBridge application installed (to be available as a free download), via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This enables a variety of features: you can automatically transfer images taken with the D500 to your smart device, as well as upload them automatically to NIKON IMAGE SPACE. You can also use the smart device to browse images stored in the camera, as well as embed images with its location and date/time information. SnapBridge dramatically enhances the value and convenience of images taken with the D500.
*Smartphones and tablet computers with iOS or Android™.

8.WT-7/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter (optional) enables high-speed wired/wireless LAN communication

Nikon's WT-7/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter is aimed at professionals who need to transfer images more quickly than they can with built-in wireless LAN. When attached to the D500, it allows images and movie files to be transferred to computers* or FTP server via both wired and wireless LAN. The D500 with WT-7/A/B/C can be used as a wireless LAN access point, permitting easy connections with computers and smart devices.
*Requires Wireless Transmitter Utility (available for download from Nikon website).

Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 microsite

Post by admin »

admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 pdf link

Post by admin »

Stany Buyle

Nikon D500, the most tempting DSLR until now.

Post by Stany Buyle »

This giant buffer, 10 fps and this fantastic AF field coverage next to so many other great features in a portable package makes D500 the most tempting camera I've seen until now. Wow! :o :o :o

Thanks Nikon. Great news, great job!

Kindest regards,

Stany

kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Nikon D500, the long time awaited D300 successor...

Post by DiederikVP »

Posted on YouTube by Matt Granger

admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 advanced AF system

Post by admin »

From the Nikon D500 pdf :
ImageImage
Image.........Image
admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 related youtube videos & reviews

Post by admin »

D500 introduction video:

Nikon D500 Continuous shooting 10fps :

----------------------------------------
One of the best practical DSLR review I've read online:
http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/05/s ... d-sb-5000/
----------------------------------------
admin
site administrator

Nikon D500specifications

Post by admin »

breerke
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by breerke »

Amazing camera's..Finally Nikon understood what features were :ugeek: missing and suddenly, the Whole toybox is available...
:D One tought : I had expected more MP on the D500, . I'll Guess that This One Will be used for Nature,birding. SO we need to crop. The D5 Will bekend mostly used by sportspro's who transfer the images to their offices need no more MP.
A second tought:Is the price gap between D7200 (6frames sec) and the D500 (10 frames sec) not to big? Only photo's Will tell
Stany Buyle

A VERY good Nikon D500 review

Post by Stany Buyle »

One of the best practical DSLR review I've read online:
http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/05/s ... d-sb-5000/
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Nikon D500: too little, too late?

Post by Stany Buyle »

There was a very long waiting time for a D300s successor, much longer than a common Nikon product cycle.
Does this mean that the D500 announcement is too little to late?

IF Nikon would have brought a D400 today with 10 fps and the 24 mp sensor from the D7200 it surely would have been "too little, too late."

BUT, Nikon puts into the market
  • A professional DX camera, with the advantage of the 1.5 crop factor against D5. Your 400 F2.8 as seen on your D5 becomes a 600mm F2.8 on your D500
  • With a new AF system covering a very big part of the FOV (WOW) :o , another very big advantage over D5...
  • With automatic AF fine tuning (this is simply FANTASTIC) :o :o :o
  • With a DR that we're used to since D7000 and D800, and improved at higher isos vs D7000, D7100 and D7200. About DR is especially important if you compare with Canon and their 7DMkII...
  • With the same ergonomics and professional button layout of the D810
  • With 4K for video shooters
  • With features that combine smartphone and tablets with the camera...
  • A tilting LCD screen (I simply LOVE that in my D750...)
  • 99 cross AF sensors, with 15 among them covering F8
  • An incredible buffer if you are ready to buy a XQD card...
  • With a high iso performance that will be at least equal but very probably significantly better than D7200.
    I expect D500 to be much better at high iso than D7200, producing noise wise a final image somewhere between D810 and D750, -yes, like FX-, otherwise the important development costs for the new 20.9 MP sensor make no sense.
    If there was no intention to do something spectacular about noise, Nikon could have released this D500 with the already existing 24Mp DX sensor, even if that would have given only 9 fps...
A DX camera which simply wipes the floor with Canon's 7DMkII, in every aspect... This is funny while I regretted only a year ago that Nikon did not have a 7DMkII equivalent... D500 wipes the floor even more with D7200 than it does with 7DmkII...

Not too late, and for sure not too little...
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Interview with Nikon Europe about Nikon D500

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Nikon D500 | 4K UHD sample video

Post by DiederikVP »

admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 brochure in PDF

Post by admin »

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

Snapbridge explained...

Post by Stany Buyle »

http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0106_snapbridge_04.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Nikon D500 sensor

Post by DiederikVP »

http://www.nikon-foto.cz/download/produ ... 0_Cmos.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Nikon Canada D500presentation

Post by DiederikVP »

In this video, Nikon Canada's Mark Cruz provides an overview of the new D500 DX-format HD-SLR camera that's packed with pro-level features and extreme processing power in a body that's compact, durable and lightweight.
[youtube][/youtube]
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by DiederikVP »

Anybody in Holland or Germany who visited a D500-D5 presentation?
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

One more D500 video preview...

Post by DiederikVP »

admin
site administrator

Nikon D500 raw support in Adobe update

Post by admin »

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... lable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Interesting findings related to auto AF fine tuning published by Andy at the Nikongear website:
My first attempt took roughly 30 mins, I was close on raising a service request for help :(
1) I couldn't find the AF fine tuning button sequence in the user manual. There is no mentioning on auto AF fine tune in the D5 User Manual.
2) There was info in the internet that the button combination was (AF-mode) and (shutter release) - but that didn't work ...
3) When I figured out that it was covered in the downloaded Menu Guide, the right button combination to press is "AF-mode" and "Video-Rec"
4) Then the error message popped up every single time "Auto AF fine tune is not available at current focus setting" and didn't let me store the adjustment value
5) The culprit was the focus selector in LiveView mode: It has to be *exact" in the center of live view field. Putting it approximate there doesn't do the trick. Pressing the OK button in LiveView to put it perfectly in the center did the trick and brought me over the finish line that I could store the AF compensation value.
6) Now it is really a short and convenient process

rgds, Andy
Stany Buyle

April 21st?

Post by Stany Buyle »

First D500s available on April 21st?
Stany Buyle

Nikon D500 sample images on Dpreview forum

Post by Stany Buyle »

Nikon D500 sample images on Dpreview forum:
:arrow: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57606637
Even though those images show no EXIF I believe they are real.
Kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

Nikon D500 manual online

Post by Stany Buyle »

D500 manual(E)/handleiding(NL) online.

De Nikon D500 handleiding staat nu online: :arrow: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/n ... /D500.html

Nikon D500 manual now online: :arrow: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/e ... /D500.html

For other languages: :arrow: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/s ... guage.html
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

No "easy iso" with D500...

Post by Stany Buyle »

No "easy iso" with D500...
:arrow: d7(easy iso) from D8xx in D500 ?
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

shooting tips for D500 users (link)

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Kingfisher with Nikon D500, iso 1600

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

D500 crop advantage vs D810 resolution

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
DiederikVP
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Nikon D500 Review by Steve Perry

Post by DiederikVP »

Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Capture One Pro 9.2 supports 500 NEF
kindest regards,

Stany
admin
site administrator

D500 Firmware Version 1.02

Post by admin »

admin
site administrator

NEF codec for D500

Post by admin »

Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Some images that I made with my D500.
Thanks for looking and kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info - www.nikonuser.be
Stany Buyle

Sigma lens firmware update on behalf of D500

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Digital SLR Camera D500 Receives EISA Award

Post by Stany Buyle »

Digital SLR Camera D500 Receives EISA Award

From the Nikon website:
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that its Nikon DX-format digital SLR camera, the Nikon D500, is the recipient of the European Prosumer DSLR Camera 2016-2017 award presented by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA).
This makes the third major award the D500 has received this year, as it was also the recipient of the TIPA Awards 2016 Best APS-C DSLR Expert award presented by the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA), and the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2016, sponsored by Germany's Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen.

EISA is the unique association of roughly 50 major photo, video, audio, home theater, and mobile electronics magazines from 20 European countries. Each year, EISA chooses the best products released in Europe over the past year from a number of categories of imaging, audio and mobile devices.

Reasons the D500 was selected as the recipient of the European Consumer DSLR Camera 2016-2017 award (summary of EISA comments)
Nikon's flagship DX-format digital SLR camera, the D500, which delivers high-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps*, is perfectly suited for action photography. Its powerful 153-point (99 cross sensors) AF system provides precise subject acquisition, particularly with moving subjects. A newly developed DX sensor, with an effective pixel count of 20.9 million pixels, gives superb image quality, and, with a maximum standard sensitivity of ISO 51200, the D500 is especially good for shooting in low light. Build quality and handling are superb with a large, bright viewfinder and tilting rear touchscreen display. The ability to record 4K video and Nikon's new SnapBridge connectivity rounds off a hugely impressive digital SLR.
* Approximate frame rates when using continuous-servo AF, a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and with other settings at default values.

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

The importance of 10 fps for nature photography...

Post by Stany Buyle »

10 fps + crop factor is a dream for wildlife photography...

kindest regards,

Stany
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up with pictures and information...
then you can support this website
with a donation...

Stany Buyle

Nikon D500 vs D5 in lowlight from iso 100 --> iso 102400

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
admin
site administrator

D500 firmware update

Post by admin »

Today Nikon released a firmware update for D500. Link here.

What does this firmware update change or fix?
From the Nikon UK website:
  • Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.11 to 1.12
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in unreliable connections between the camera and the iOS 10.2 version of the SnapBridge app.
  • Changes from Previous Versions
    Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.10 to 1.11
    • Fixed an issue that prevented the touch-shutter option releasing the shutter when autofocus was used during live view with an SB-800 flash unit attached.
    • Changed the items checked when image sensor cleaning was performed using the SETUP MENU > Clean image sensor > Clean now option. We recommend that you use this option to perform image sensor cleaning after the update is complete.
    Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.02 to 1.10
    • Added support for the iOS version of SnapBridge.
    • Changed some help text.
    • Fixed the following issues:
    - Images would not display correctly if playback zoom was used during image review.
    - The focus point display would not light if the shutter-release button was pressed halfway after the standby timer had expired.
    - The camera would stop responding if a command dial was used in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU > f Controls > f1 Custom control assignment > Movie record button + menu.
    - If an option other than Off was selected for Active D-Lighting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, pictures taken with an optional flash unit in auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode would be underexposed.
    Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 1.02
    • Addressed an issue that sometimes caused errors with certain UHS-II SD memory cards. As we were able to confirm that these were read errors arising not in the camera but in the cards themselves, we addressed the issue with a work-around that switches temporarily to UHS-I mode when a card-side error occurs in UHS-II mode. The camera switches back to UHS-II mode when turned off and then on again or when the standby timer restarts. Card-side read errors may still occur after the update, albeit very infrequently.
    Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.01
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the options for SETUP MENU > Language not displaying correctly.
Stany Buyle

Sigma 150-600 C on D500...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Nikon D500 has an amazing AF system

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Dragonflies with D500 and nikon 200-500mm

Post by Stany Buyle »

:arrow: Dragonflies with D500 and nikon 200-500mm

The D500 makes former very challenging AF situations piece of cake...

With D500 and nikon 200-500

and a 100% crop of the above
Stany Buyle

Bee in flight with D500

Post by Stany Buyle »

An image straight out of the camera.

Stany Buyle

LCD protection glass for D500

Post by Stany Buyle »

For such precious gear you and TMHO, LCD protection glass is a must have.
I went for GSS Larmor 5 for my D500 because of the sunshade hood and viewfinder which enables on screen focusing in daylight.
:arrow: http://www.ggsfoto.com/en/products.asp?id=57
From the website:
About The Product

GGS LARMOR5 Camera Screen Protector for Nikon D500, magnetic self adhesive installation is very stable and can be suitable for rotating touch screen, added anti-explosion layer and enhanced 2 times the force resistance capacity, lengthen the lifespan, the larmor 5 camera screen protector can be connected to the new sunshade hood and viewfinder of GGS, the Japan imported optical glass is high transmittee of 98%, the new technology of metal border looks the same as the LCD monitor, solved the problem of break of the border

Bought mine at cameranu.nl in Holland.
kindest regards,

Stany
ritaB

You can support this website...

Post by ritaB »

If you like this topic, and you appreciate the time we did spend to back up with pictures and information...
with a donation...

Stany Buyle

From D850 back to D810 + D500 combo

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
admin
site administrator

Post by admin »

with a donation...