Nikon D850 for macro photography - dragonflies

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D850 for macro photography - dragonflies

Post by Stany Buyle »

I like dragonflies and I Iove to capture them in pictures, just posing in the sun or lately -with cameras' AF progress-, even more in flight.
I did it on film, with D1 & D1H, D200, D300, D3, D800, D810 and D4, but with D850 it became easier again...
  • Even much easier compared to 2,7 to 12Mp sensor cameras as a result of much higher resolution while you don't have to go so close or you don't have to use extension tubes and other classic macro tools to see plenty of details,
  • Because the D850' AF is extremely accurate(*) and fast which makes shooting handheld more succesful,
  • Because the AF field coverage is larger than it was with D800 and the cameras before.
  • Because of more AF points,
  • Because of the AF joy stick that makes focusing piece of cake (D500 has the same luxury...)
  • Because of progress @ higher iso which makes look iso 800 nearly indistinguishable from iso 100 and which makes iso 6400 look pretty decent...
  • ... because I don't have to do any post processing to make the picture look nice while using the great A(uto) picture style.
  • and more...
The picture has been taken handheld, VR on, and was the better one out of about 5 attempts.

A 100% crop:

Image (*) Image

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Nikon D850 for macro photography - dragonflies

Post by Stany Buyle »

The detail and sharpness D850 provides is incredible which makes this kind of photography very easy.
This picture is also captured handheld. Pictures have no post processing with exception of ©

The scene, resized to 1000px longest side:

And a 100% crop:
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe