Nikon D850 - 3 reasons why I love it, in one image.

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D850 - 3 reasons why I love it, in one image.

Post by Stany Buyle »

A couple of weeks ago I made a picture that I really like, something I didn't see happening yet after watching kingfishers for many years and hundreds of hours on several locations.
This one was made in Warandeputten-Oostkamp-Belgium on October 18.
I used my D850 with the Nikon 200-500 telezoom. I was taking pictures of a heron posing in the sun with my camera set to auto iso and Manual mode with F5.6 and 1/1000 sec shutter speed and -0.3EV.
All of a sudden I heard a splash in the water behind my back and I saw my little friend with a relative big fish speared on its beak. There was barely enough time to aim and shoot before he flew in the foliage.

With most of my former cameras this would have been not done because of overall camera speed (AF & fps) and/or a non-keeper because of initial underexposure and lack of resolution while the subject was quite far away.

1. Exposure latitude of the D850 NEF files.

The initial image looked like this, badly underexposed:

Exif:
ImageImage ImageImage

please notice that the only PP I did to come to the final result is +0.66 EV and lifting of the shadows with ADL. No noise reduction applied.

related topic: :arrow: D850' DR and/or exposure latitude with sample

2. Resolution:
As the bird was quite far away, I had to crop a lot to get a useable image.
While cropping this way I still keep a 2104px longest side image with plenty of detail

To illustrate resolution, a 100% crop:

3. Overall camera speed and AF accuracy

D850 works great with the Nikon 200-500 with relative fast and accurate focus lock, even in unexpected situations.

A screenshot of the AF point as you can see in NikonViewNX:

And the final image resized to 800px logest side:

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany

related topic: :arrow: Terminator in de Warandeputten