Long awaited: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Long awaited: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Post by Stany Buyle »

From nikon.com:

July 30, 2009
Fast Telephoto Zoom Lens Utilizing Nano Crystal Coat

TOKYO — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the new fast telephoto zoom lens AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II for use with digital- and film-SLR cameras. A number of unique Nikon technologies have been adopted for this lens, including the use of seven ED glass elements, Nano Crystal Coat, a vibration reduction (VR II) system that provides camera shake compensation equivalent to increases in shutter speed by four steps, and a Silent Wave Motor (SWM).
This fast telephoto zoom lens provides the excellent performance and superior image quality demanded by professional and advanced amateur photographers.

With release of this lens, Nikon has structured an incomparable NIKKOR zoom lens system that also includes the current AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED and AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED for complete coverage of focal lengths from 14mm to 200mm with support for a maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire range.
.The AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II offers excellent performance throughout its range of focal lengths, from the natural rendering characteristics of mid-range telephoto positions to the compressed perspective of telephoto positions. The lens makes the most of a wide variety of scenes, from portraits to staged events as well as sports photography under nighttime lighting, press photography, and scenes that require soft rendering of out-of-focus portions.

The use of seven ED glass elements provides the ultimate in rendering characteristics for capture of images exhibiting excellent resolution and high contrast. The additional use of Nano Crystal Coat effectively suppresses ghost and flare for clear images. Adoption of the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) allows for smooth and quiet autofocusing that makes the most of camera autofocus subject tracking systems. The lens also provides superior operation with three focus modes — M, A/M, M/A — for manual focusing or manually fine-tuning focus acquired with autofocus by simply rotating the lens' focus ring.

The vibration reduction system (VR II) provides camera shake compensation equivalent to increases in shutter speed by four steps*. Two vibration reduction modes are available.

NORMAL mode: The vibration reduction mechanism reduces ordinary camera shake. Panning is also supported.
ACTIVE mode: The vibration reduction mechanism reduces extreme camera shake, such as that which occurs with shooting from a moving vehicle.

*As determined in Nikon performance tests

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Major Features
•Vibration reduction (VR II) equivalent to increases in shutter speed by four steps
•A new optical design utilizing seven ED glass elements
•Ghost and flare suppression with Nano Crystal Coat
•A Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for superior autofocus that is smooth and quiet
•Three focus modes built in: M, M/A, A/M
•Aperture diaphragm utilizing an odd number of rounded blades (nine) for natural blur characteristics
•Shooting at distances as close as 1.4 m throughout the entire zoom range
•High-quality exterior design

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Specifications
Focal length 70-200mm
Maximum aperture f/2.8
Minimum aperture f/22
Lens construction 21 elements in 16 groups (with 7 ED and some Nano Crystal Coat-deposited lens elements)
Picture angle 34°20’ - 12°20’ (22°50’ - 8° with Nikon DX format)
Closest focusing distance 1.4 m/4.6 ft. (throughout entire zoom range)
No. of diaphragm blades 9 (rounded)
Filter/attachment size 77mm
Diameter x length (extension from lens mount)
Approximately 87 x 209 mm/3.4 x 8.2 in.
Weight Approximately 1,540 g/3.4 lb.
Supplied accessories 77mm Snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-77, Rear Lens Cap LF-1, Bayonet Hood HB-48, Semi-soft case CL-M2

Lens Construction:
MTF Chart:
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Look sweet, going to keep my 70-200VR

Post by DavidLake »

Not worth the $2300 (or even street price less) since I paid $1700 for my 70-200VR brand new less than 2 years ago. And never notice the soft/vignette corners even at f2.8. I suppose due to the fact I'm shooting portrait/wedding with it.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: Long awaited: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

The vignetting and softness is there in the old version but for most shooters, it doesn't really matter (portraiture, sports for instance). I don't think I will ever upgrade. The only thing is that I am not too happy with Nikon since they shouldn't have released the old one with such a problem, this was unacceptable for a pro-lens at that price.
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

True, accept they didn't even have FF in mind

Post by DavidLake »

They were only D X sensor based back then, and even acted like they would never go FF, so they probably didn't even test it on the F6 (film body) that much. I don't know that I will upgrade either, unless the new VRII proves more than a stop better - which I doubt.

Sad considering how the 85 f1.4 and others need updating more. However, the 70-200 is such a standard use zoom I suppose they needed to bring it up to snuff and get rid of all the complaining about vignetting and corner softness.
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)