Huge Print From a D3

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Huge Print From a D3

Post by aclphoto »

SO I shoot sports... high speed action... type stuff. and I also shoot portraits here and there... I shoot for a living... and I know most all fundamentals,
I know all photo related elements of a shot ISO f stop... etc.
I don't need a lesson on HOW to frame, set up or shoot an image...
I dare not post this on DP...

I need to shoot an image that will be printed to a 4 foot by 8 foot size (let me deal with the proportions issue) viewing distance about 30 feet.

What I would like feed back on is HOW would YOU shoot this? (raw settings etc) I DON'T normally shoot in RAW... like I said I shoot a thousand frames every few days... there's no time to do post in RAW...

I have all the software needed to process raw... just don't use it too much.

My gear list:

(2) D3's
(1) D300
24-70
70-200 etc...etc etc...
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Huge Print From a D3

Post by Leen Koper »

No problem at all.
Viewing distance of 30 feet is the equals a size of approximately 2 by 4 feet at 15 feet and 1 by 2 feet at a viewing distance of 7 1/2 feet. Using 8 of your 12 megapixel, given this size, will be sufficient.
Your normal shooting mode of just jPEG will do.
Stany Buyle

Huge print techniques...

Post by Stany Buyle »

I was reading about this often and several people mention bicubic upresizing in PS of your image as a solution for huge prints.
There is another program that does better than PS' bicubic upresizing, downloaded it once and tried out for macro upresizing and it worked very well, I'll try to find the link...

About upresizing for big prints, an article that might interest you: http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/f ... _print.htm
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Geoff_Roughton
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Huge Print From a D3

Post by Geoff_Roughton »

Judson Leen's comments are spot on......jpeg will be fine at that viewing distance. You need to ask your pro lab what file requirements they have, colour space etc and if they will colour correct. Printing that large they will have a good RIP, make sure they have, so just send them the cropped file. I'd normally send them a colour corrected file and ask them not to correct.....your call. Dont have the sharpness settings to high either...have fun.
Best
Geoff
"always look on the bright side of life...."
www.gandsphotography.co.uk