Nikkor releases a new 2x TC for AF-S VR lenses

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikkor releases a new 2x TC for AF-S VR lenses

Post by Stany Buyle »

The new TC-20E III as a combo with the 70-200 AF-S VR could be used as a replacement forthe long time awaited replacement of the 80-400 VR.
I recently sold my 80-400 VR because I expected a replacement any time soon. In the meantime I use my 70-200 AF-SVR with a kenko 2X TC with pleasing results, pleasing, not great though. With the Kenko 300pro 2X TC the 70-200 AF still works quite well, as well as VR. Sharpness is as good than the 80-400VR @ F5.6 but bokeh looks weird. AF is, although fast, sometimes missing completely the target...
The TC-20E III is very probably a good alternative.
Downside is the size and weight of this combo.
Pro is that the 70-200 VRI vignetting is gone with a TC.
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

And I expect 105AF-S VR + TC-20E III to be great as well...

Post by Stany Buyle »

I was working often with the 105AF-S VR and kenko 300pro 2X TC combination and I got often good to very good results...
Taking into consideration that the nikkor TC-20E III is optically significantly better than the Kenko and locking better on the lens mount(which is sometimes a problem with the kenko, resulting in an 'error' message), I expect this combo to be very interesting... :o
One very important advantage is the increased DOF with the TC.

Some samples, all taken handhold:

And a 100% crop of the above picture:

:!: Important notice for browsing the links:Sometimes, when the pictures in the provide links do not show up and you see as here underneath ...
Image ... you have to do "right mouseclick" while pointing with the cursor on the red ImageDoesNotShowUp-sign and "show image"- command to see the picture. After that it shows up.
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Bummer...

Post by Stany Buyle »

StanyB wrote:I was working often with the 105AF-S VR and kenko 300pro 2X TC combination and I got often good to very good results...
Taking into consideration that the nikkor TC-20E III is optically significantly better than the Kenko and locking better on the lens mount(which is sometimes a problem with the kenko, resulting in an 'error' message), I expect this combo to be very interesting... :o
Bummer!!! :( :( After my first tryouts the 105 AF-S VR does, -although compatible-, not autofocus well(unuseable slow and hunting) with the TCIII.
kindest regards,

Stany
James

Re: Nikkor releases a new 2x TC for AF-S VR lenses

Post by James »

At Macro distance it is about f11 - not that surprising really :)

Thanks for testing again though :)
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi James,
Thanks for your reaction.
James wrote:At Macro distance it is about f11 - not that surprising really :) Thanks for testing again though :)
OK, but you agree do get nice DOF, you need smallest aperture possible(big F number).. So F11 isn't that much.
@ the other hand, a teleconverter has an increasing efffect :) on the DOF of the lens, which is good.
kindest regards,

Stany
James

Post by James »

I just meant that when the max aperture is f11 I am not surprised that the AF is not working reliably :)

I am not trying to argue that you should have a wider aperture than that for Macro! :D