Iso 10.000 with D700...(with sample pictures)

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Iso 10.000 with D700...(with sample pictures)

Post by Stany Buyle »

Underneath some occasional shots from today with D700 @ iso "10.000" (0.7 above iso 6400)
Today we were surprised by unexpected winter conditions while driving to a client after we left @ home in cold but sunny weather... Took the occasion to test my D700 @ iso 10.000 (never did that after 1 1/2 year D700...)
I am very impressed...

One perhaps important note: I learned that switching off ADL is extremely important to get the best out of your D700,D3,D300 etc... in relation to noise. With APS format sensors this is even more important than with FX sensors. The problems I had with noise in backgrounds and skies with my D300, -even @ very low iso- were totally solved from the moment I switched off ADL.
ADL is a feature I will never use anymore, it turns out any camera to a noise machine. ADL is perhaps nice for jpeg shooters...

About sharpness and some light reflections, please take into consideration that these picture have been taken in a driving car, handhold ánd through my windscreen...

All underneath pictures have been originally taken in raw and have only been resized for the web. No postprocessing whatsoever...

A 100% crop from the above picture:

Finally coming home, after a 300km drive in unexpected circumstances...

In this last picture some banding is visible, but still OK to me... Finally it's iso 10.000...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Iso 10.000 with D700...(with sample pictures)

Post by Leen Koper »

Quite impressive.
It is a good demonstration of how much progress regarding noise eliminaton has been made in the last few years.
DavidLake
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Actually that last one is not banding

Post by DavidLake »

It is blooming from the sensor due to the very bright light sources. Notice how each 'band' is coming off of a street light, etc. This is a known issue, although to be expected when you the sensor gain cranked to oblivion. :o

Here is a shot with one of my D3's at ISO 25,600!!! Can you believe this shot is even usable. I did this just as a test to see how much I could squeeze out of it. (D3, 25K, f11, 1/25sec)
(NPS, WPPI, PPA)