Just received my nikon TCIII and..., it's wonderfull.

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

RudyDusslier

Just received my nikon TCIII and..., it's wonderfull.

Post by RudyDusslier »

Hi.
Probably some other nikon users on this forum might be interested about the new nikon 2xTCIII. Well, I can assure you, it's simply wonderfull. :D
I received the lens only in the late afternoon so I didn't have the opportunity to do some testshots outside but while doing some testshots inside I am amazed. :o

First impressions:
- Mounted together with my 70-200 AF-S VRII, I see little to no difference in sharpness @ 400mm compared with my 200-400F4 @ 400mm.
- The VR works the same as if it was my 70-200VRII alone, which I would never have believed if somebody would have told me that without evidence. Underneath you see a first sample @ 400mm and 1/10sec, handhold... :o
- Colours and bokeh maintain as they are without TC... :D
- AF speed remains very fast. :)

-The 70-200 AF-S VRII + this 2xTCIII is heavy... 8-)

First sample (D3s and 70-200 AF-S VRII with nikon 2xTCIII @ iso 6400, handhold @ 1/10 sec @ F5.6(70-200@F2.8) :

I will try to post some more pictures tonight...
Later on this week I'll post some test shots with this TC in combination with my 200-400 F4...

Greetings,
Rudy.
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Re: Just received my nikon TCIII and..., it's wonderfull.

Post by Leen Koper »

This looks very promising! I'm impressed by the lack of loss in quality, as far as I can judge by these images!
BTW, nice bicycle!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS If you would like to participate in this discussion you have to join this forum first. How to join this forum you can read here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RudyDusslier

70-200VRII+2xTCIII on my D3X @ 400mm, handhold, cropped

Post by RudyDusslier »

I'm more and more amazed about the optical quality of this converter.
Underneath a sample with the 70-200VRII+2xTCIII on my D3X @ 400mm, handhold @ 1/13sec , cropped.

Iso 1250, 1/13 sec handhold, F5.6

Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

It is very hard to believe these are just handheld! The VR system works amazingly well.

PS If you would like to participate in this discussion you have to join this forum first. How to join this forum you can read here.
RudyDusslier

One more sample, and crop...

Post by RudyDusslier »

With D3s, 70-200VRII an TCIII.
ISO 8000, 1/40 sec. F5.6, handhold

Greetings,
Rudy
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Leen Koper wrote:It is very hard to believe these are just handheld! The VR system works amazingly well.
Hello Leen,

The VR on the new 70-200mm works really amazing. I never could believe that one can take a razorsharp picture handheld on 200mm with a shutterspeed of 1/8 sec!
This afternoon, when I put my new teleconverter on this lens, I was very surprised nothing changed. The same sharp pictures but now at 400mm.

Greetings,
Rudy
RudyDusslier

AF does not work with my 200-400 F4 !!!

Post by RudyDusslier »

I'm a bit(read "very") - disappointed while after my first tryouts indoors the 200-400F4 seems not to autofocus with the TCIII... :(
Guy Van Hooveld
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

amazing sharpness in those examples... but unlike many others, I already considered the IQ of the 70-200VRI+TC2.0 (the "old" one) to be really good. The impressive addition of the new 70-200VR is the much improved VR.
About the 200-400VR, I use it from time to time with the 1.7TC with very good results, I never tried the 2.0, but anyway, I am not expecting this combo to work if there isn't a LOT of light.
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

Hello Guy,

I tried the combo TCIII and 200-400m this morning outside, the sun was shining. No AF :cry:
RudyDusslier

Post by RudyDusslier »

For this reason, I´m thinking to sell my 200-400mm. With the 70-200 VRII-TCIII I have the same range. It´s not so big and heavy and the quality is exceptionnal.

Greetings,
Rudy
Leen Koper

Post by Leen Koper »

DrDusslierR wrote:Hello Guy,

I tried the combo TCIII and 200-400m this morning outside, the sun was shining. No AF :cry:
Of course not; the opening is now F8 and it doesnot work at this aperture, if I remember well.