Nikon should release an affordable 5DMkII competitor soon...

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon should release an affordable 5DMkII competitor soon...

Post by Stany Buyle »

D3X specs are great, IQ will be outstanding and D700 is a fantastic camera but... there are a couple of things which makes 5DMkII very attractive for amateurs who want to switch to FX format right now: 21Mp, movie mode, silent mode and the price tag(2499€)...D90 with movie mode isn't an option if you want to go FF...
In some situations while having only one camera and being able to switch quickly to movie mode seems very attractive. I've seen a couple of very nice movie captures with 5DMkII already...
Silent mode (eventhough ithe 5DMkII silent mode isn't really silent..) is sometimes very welcome...
Being able to crop more and keep all detail is great for applications like macro...
6999 euro is out of the budget of most amateurs...

While I'm sure Nikon is aware of all that, I'm pretty sure a Nikon FX with higher Mp, D700 alike body, movie mode and PUFlash will follow soon...

Just my thoughts...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
RudyDusslier

Re: Nikon should release an affordable 5DMkII competitor soon...

Post by RudyDusslier »

I´m curious how the D3X performs at ISO 1600. For me it´s not worth to buy 24 MP camera who gives more noise than the D3 in such situations.
JeffMorris
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by JeffMorris »

Hello All,

The fact is Nikon does not supply us with a road map. I am sure their engineers and marketing people are looking at every aspect of the photographic business as we speak.

> The Economy or lack there of.
> The competition.
> Their ability to stay profitable.
> Needs of the photographic community.

There was a time when Nikon could build a camera and it could stay on the market for six, seven or eight years. Nikon could take it's resources and work on lenses and accessories. Today it is a much different story. I am sure R&D budgets are strained to the MAX. Pros and Advanced Amatures are demanding new and improved bodies every six months. Before a new camera is officially anounced, we are asking "When will the next model be out?" This must be a nightmare senario for all manufacturers. All I can say is we must be more realistic in our expectations. As of today, I think Nikon would do well to produce a D700V. A higher res camera with easy to use video capability and acceptable noise performance. Even 18mp would work for most people.

But I will tell you one thing for sure. I will not give up my high ISO D700 for MP's.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

It´s my personal firm belief - until proven wrong - that 24 Mpix is the utmost resolution in a 35 mm image sensor.
So, the D3X could be around for a while until post Bayer sensor may change the game. There may also be a D700 X with less than 24 Mpix, who knows what Nikon is planning. Of course, using the same sensor as in the D3X would be great.

Honestly, I would be tempted to buy that "D700X", but now that I am also invested into the Sony system and the D3 complements it so nicely as an allround camera for both high and low ISO shooting, I guess I will be able to resist, if that camera comes out (whenever that may be).
JeffMorris
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by JeffMorris »

Hello Pam,

I hope Nikon has something in the works. I am afraid that this megapixel race has really screwed up the industry. Tell me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that 24mp needs the best glass possible. In Nikonland thats 14-24, 24-70, 105's, Micro Nikors and their long glass. With Sunny, it's their Zeiss glass.

Regards,
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Jeff, we will soon have the first users reporting their experiences with Nikkors on the D3X.
The ones you mentioned should do well. What needs to be upgraded badly is the 70-200 VR to work on FX.
It may be a new design altogether, though, greater diameter etc.

I wonder, if some people will be in for bad surprises ...
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by aclphoto »

JeffMorris wrote:Hello Pam,

I hope Nikon has something in the works. I am afraid that this megapixel race has really screwed up the industry. Tell me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that 24mp needs the best glass possible. In Nikonland thats 14-24, 24-70, 105's, Micro Nikors and their long glass. With Sunny, it's their Zeiss glass.

Regards,

Jeff... You're exactly right about the lenses... if you were to put a 18-55 kit lens on a 3x you would have just downgraded your camera to a paper weight...

IMO You can take an old beat up crappy camera and stick a Pro lens on it and shoot awesome photos... BUT you can't take a top end Pro camera and put bad glass in front of it and expect the same results. It's ALL about the glass.
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
Lil Judd
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by Lil Judd »

All I know is that the D3x is the camera I predicted a year ago & got laughed at for predicting. Now that it's about to arrive - all I can say is - - I can't afford it. :-( This is a hobby & even though most of my glass should be great on the D3x -- I can;t justify putting us in the poor house over it. A higher MP D700 would be my way to go. That I could afford.... I will not buy used in a digital body....

Lil :-)
Lil :-)
Wishing you Golden Light & willing subjects. My ever evolving galleries can be seen at http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/