Nikkor 70-200VR alternatives?

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikkor 70-200VR alternatives?

Post by BrianSmith »

Since owning my D3 I find, like some others, that the performance of this lens is a little wanting at FX in the corners both for resolution and vignetting. Not enough to panic over but I would like to ask for suggestions if I wanted to swap out.
Is there a better FX alternative from Tamron or Sigma? Would I be happier going back to the 80-400VR which I sold before getting the D3? :o(
I'm not expecting a change to be zero cost but preferably light on the pocket.
Stany Buyle

Re: Nikkor 70-200VR alternatives?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Brian,
I sold my 70-200VR and bought a 80-400VR when I went to D3. I did this move basically for reach but I'm more than pleased wth all aspects of this lens with exception of AF speed. Not really slow but uncomparable with 70-200. I tried the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 a couple of weeks ago and I was underwhelmed with the AF speed, that's slow...
An image with my 80-400VR @ 400mm, handhold with VR on, 1/800sec and F7.1, AF-C, matrix.
No postprocessing out of resizing

and a crop
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Post by aclphoto »

Brian,

I have a good friend that runs a camera shop and he told me a few days ago that Nikon was coming out with a new 70-200 2.8 NON VR lens in the $700 price range... he said he actually held one in his hands shot some images with it and told me the glass was amazing... this may be a good choice for you... keep an eye out for it.
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

Thanks, I surely will. Frankly, with the higher iso available on the D3 but without the accompanying noise, I find myself not using VR and having the suspicion that my images are sharper without it. If this nonVR version is that good and at that sort of price then I would make the swap. Particularly if it was lighter or shorter. I find the current one a little unweildy with the TC attached.
BrianSmith
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by BrianSmith »

StanyB wrote:Hi Brian,
I sold my 70-200VR and bought a 80-400VR when I went to D3. I did this move basically for reach but I'm more than pleased wth all aspects of this lens with exception of AF speed. Not really slow but uncomparable with 70-200. I tried the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 a couple of weeks ago and I was underwhelmed with the AF speed, that's slow...
An image with my 80-400VR
The main reason I got rid of my 80-400VR was the max aperture which is now less of a problem. On my D2X the focussing speed was acceptable, perhaps slightly better on the D2H. I'm tempted to change back.

Nice cockerel. Is it a Pekin? It looks as though it may be bantam sized.
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by aclphoto »

BrianSmith wrote:Thanks, I surely will. Frankly, with the higher iso available on the D3 but without the accompanying noise, I find myself not using VR and having the suspicion that my images are sharper without it. If this nonVR version is that good and at that sort of price then I would make the swap. Particularly if it was lighter or shorter. I find the current one a little unweildy with the TC attached.

yeah he said it was about the same size as the 70-300 Nikon or the Canon 70-200 f4 lens... lighter and shorter than the 70-200 VR... but I dont know if you can still use you TC on it.
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

Don't Fear the space between your reality and your dreams... if you can dream it... you can live it!
aclphoto
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by aclphoto »

To ALL on this forum...

I’m SO very sorry I have to inform you of this…

I misunderstood my friend, the new 70-200 2.8 NON VR lens is actually a Tamron with a NIKON mount.

Again I’m very sorry about this.
Judson Crossland
Member NPS
ACL Photo
www.aclphoto.com

pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

I heard the Tamron is very good optically, but AF is very slow.

Nikon is said to come out with a Nikkor 70-200 VR, but the new version may have a bigger diameter and thus be slightly heavier ...
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

aclphoto wrote:To ALL on this forum... I’m SO very sorry I have to inform you of this… I misunderstood my friend, the new 70-200 2.8 NON VR lens is actually a Tamron with a NIKON mount.
Again I’m very sorry about this.
Absolutely no problem.
Misunderstandings are very normal things that happen in life...
I appreciate your contribution on our forum very much.
BTW: That new tamron I tried out myself @ audiophil last month: Indeed amazing IQ but VERY slow focusing...
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Guy Van Hooveld

Post by Guy Van Hooveld »

I am a big fan of the 70-200VR even with the vignetting / corner softness issue on FX (in practice it has never been a problem for my kind of photography, and I like the added value of the VR), and I could try a few alternatives.
The ones I would recommend:
The older AF-S version, non VR 80-200 was the best compromise (can still be found used)
The older AF-D version - I could test this one too, and IQ was slightly lower (pictures a little bit softer fully open, but still very good), slow AF
Sigma 70-200 2.8 - I owned that one for more than a year before the 70-200VR - excellent IQ, fast AF (HSM motor) - I missed VR and I am not a big fan of the grey finishing (easily peeling off)

Tamron - no experience
Tokina 80-200 2.8 I still have a copy of that one, a bit soft fully open, but still usable, slow AF (no motor), front element is turning, a good solution for the money
Guy Van Hooveld
Nikon equipment, semi-pro photographer My website http://www.techniphoto.com My wiki http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki
janisbg
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by janisbg »

Had Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM before Nikon. Pretty good lens.