Nikon D7000 : portraits iso 100 until iso 25600-RAW files

About Nikon cameras(Film, coolpix, DSLR and Nikon mirrorless "Z"), lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures.

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Nikon D7000 : portraits iso 100 until iso 25600-RAW files

Post by Stany Buyle »

2010, September 24th.
From PhotoKina 2010- Nikon D7000: portraits from iso 100 until iso 25600- the RAW files

At Photokina I had the opportunity to do some casual portraits with the same woman where I did some portraits with the D3100 on thuesday.
There was quite some stress because of soo many people cueing up to try the D7000 and who made me hurry up...

The pictures are captured handhold with D7000 and 16-85 AF-S VR with VR on.

Also this camera gave the same mistake in the exif by indicating "1EV over 6400" as "1EV over 1600" like explained in the former topic, but with the shutter speed you can see clearly that it's 1EV and 2EV over 6400, so iso 12800 and iso 25600.

Registered members of this forum can download the original files NEF here: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/view ... f=58&t=930
Reason for the registration obligation is to protect the server against too many downloads at once and to avoid "grab and run away people".

:!: :!: (2010.10.02)D7000 NEF files can be viewed in Nikon ViewNX2 but cannot be processed yet in Nikon Capture NX2, neither in the ViewNX2 PP section.
The only RAW converter that I am aware of which can handle D7000 NEF files today is RAW Photo Processor which is (unfortunately) for MAC system.

All pictures are taken in the style like the underneath picture, from iso 100 until iso25600
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Iliah Borg
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: Nikon D7000 : portraits iso 100 until iso 25600-RAW files

Post by Iliah Borg »

Dear Stany,

Nice shots, however I would be using spot metering.

Feel free to use and to provide links as you wish.

--
Iliah Borg
ib@pochtar.com
Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Stany Buyle »

Iliah Borg wrote:Dear Stany,Nice shots, however I would be using spot metering.Feel free to use and to provide links as you wish.
Iliah Borg // ib@pochtar.com
Dear Iliah,

Thanks for the RAW convertion with your RPP converter. Very appreciated.
As you offer I posted your message with the links you provided to this topic: http://www.fotografie.fr/fotoforum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=930#p2910
Some questions and thoughts:
  • Why do you provide the TIFF file in Lab-colour mode and not in RGB? Not a problem of course but just curious to know why...
  • Is RAW magic -which you mentioned in a former topic of yours(*)- the same or related company that provides RPP?
    (*)=Topic where still some technical questions remain unanswered... If you would have the time...:?
  • Which noise reduction method would you use to make these images look better than the original jpegs straight out of the D7000?
    For Capture NX users this question will be answered as soon as Nikon will provide the updated NX2 version which reads D7000 NEF files.
    What I like soo much is that NX2, still as only program opens the NEF files with the in-camera settings applied as I mention here..
  • Which noise reduction program do you recommand to work on this files?
Thanks in advance for your reaction and kindest regards,

Stany
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Iliah Borg
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by Iliah Borg »

TIFFs are in Lab because that is the internal space for RPP, and I skipped conversion to RGB - those who want to print the shots will have less noise skipping double RGB conversion.

RawMagick is Peter Dove and I; RPP is Andrei Tverdokhleb with some participation from my side.

I do not use noise reduction - ink smearing works for me for that. One needs to know how large to print, and what is the viewing distance. I can use sharpening in shadows to avoid blobs of noise, typically USM radius of 0.3 to 0.4 with the amount 200 to 350 and zero threshold. Or I can plug shadows off to complete black.