About the new 5D

About Canon cameras, lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures..

Moderator: Stany Buyle

DirkVermeirre

About the new 5D

Post by DirkVermeirre »

The long expected new 5D is announced and and there are some things that I can't believe. I'm using the 5D since about 1,5 years now and absolutely love the results (not the camera). I was a Nikonist since the Seventies and still have an anolog and digital (D2x) Nikon but use the 5D most of the time.
Canon must be joking! The print button is still there on the new model and still no button for mirror lock-up. The green mode is still there (full automatic, no changes can be made) and in addition they have add a Creative Style button (that looks like something for people who don't know anything about photography), it must be something for very young children I presume.
Another incredible thing is that, and the metering if it isn't changed is often very bad en needs 3 and more stops correction, you only can correct 2 stops in each direction (most camera's have 3 stops and several even 5 stops today!).
Still no on demand gridlines (I absolutely prefer that above the screen with gridlines that you have to buy and install), in 2002 that was already mentioned as a Pro point for the Fuji S2.
About image quality I can't say a thing before I can analyse good samples or shoot several myself. Video isn't what I personally want in a DSLR. While you are making movies you surely will miss good shots, and with a photo camera I want to focus on photography.
Another very annoying thing is that we still can't set the resolution to 300 dpi for the images, even with this very big files they seem to stay at 72 dpi. For commercial use and printing they need to be at 300 dpi, so you have to convert them each time.
I can live with the 5D because I use almost always the basic stuff on the camera. I don't need high frame rates, never shoot more then one image in a second, I use only the central focus point, don't use flash. But I miss some other things that I liked on the Nikon and Fuji, like multiple exposures, gridlines (on some models), the wheel in front and on the back so that I could change as well the f stop/shutter time on one of them and at the same time the needed exposure on the other one without lifting my finger from the shutter.
But as I said before, for me it's the image quality that counts (otherwise I would never use my Holga and other clumsy camera's again) and I'm curious to see what it will be.

Regards,

Dirk
MDelfeld
AFFILIATED MEMBER
Active Member?: No
Post pictures?: No

Re: About the new 5D

Post by MDelfeld »

Very interesting comment about the 5D MkII Dirk, As you, I have a 5D since more than one year. I love the images that this body can create. Compare to the 1DMkIII I get a different result for the same picture. And I love the 5D result which is more near to the argentique world than the MkIII that is more "hard"

On Friday the 10/10 I have been able to touch the 5D MkII for the very first time. It was a "pré-série" model. I could take some pictures. Two things I can see: The result in JPG that seem to be excellent, CR2 is impossible to test, the back screen is fabulous. For the final version we should have to wait until end of November.

I do agree with most of your other comments on the 5D MkII.

Michel
DirkVermeirre

Post by DirkVermeirre »

MDelfeld wrote:Very interesting comment about the 5D MkII Dirk, As you, I have a 5D since more than one year. I love the images that this body can create. Compare to the 1DMkIII I get a different result for the same picture. And I love the 5D result which is more near to the argentique world than the MkIII that is more "hard"

On Friday the 10/10 I have been able to touch the 5D MkII for the very first time. It was a "pré-série" model. I could take some pictures. Two things I can see: The result in JPG that seem to be excellent, CR2 is impossible to test, the back screen is fabulous. For the final version we should have to wait until end of November.

I do agree with most of your other comments on the 5D MkII.

Michel

Hello Michel,

Well I also absolutely love the images created with the 5D. Wished to have some more tonality and dynamic range, then it would be even a lot better. Great that you could try one and to hear about the excellent screen, the one on the 5D was really bad. I like to have good jpg's as for most images, I always try to get them right in camera (well exposed, correct white balance etc.) I gain a lot of time if I can use the jpg's. Do the images still have that argentic look like on the 5D ? I'm very curious to have a final version in my hands.

With kind regards,

Dirk
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

So, who´s planning to buy the 5DII?
Leen Koper
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

Post by Leen Koper »

"The print button is still there on the new model and still no button for mirror lock-up. The green mode is still there (full automatic, no changes can be made) and in addition they have add a Creative Style button (that looks like something for people who don't know anything about photography), it must be something for very young children I presume."

And you cannot even make a phone call with it....;-)
But Dirk, yoiu should know that most professional cameras, I guestimate over 98%, are bought by amateurs? instead you should be glad that Canon is the first manufacturer to help those people ("soccer moms"???) with their cameras so they buy more and more cameras, thus making it possible to lower its price sooner.