About S5pro with AA-filter removed...

About Fuji cameras, lenses, accessories, links and firmware updates and sample pictures. .

Moderator: Stany Buyle

photoforfun
AFFILIATED MEMBER

About S5pro with AA-filter removed...

Post by photoforfun »

Mme Pamela Meier, moderator on this forum, is doing quiet a bit of experiments with AA-filter removal of her S5pro. Basically it should render much sharper and more detailed images, but as a punishment you can get occasionally some moiré while photographing certain patterns like blue jeans...
I tried her AA-less S5pro camera myself while I was waiting for my D700 but I was a little disappointed because of the purple cast in the pictures. Pamela explained me that this issue was due to the fact she was still waiting for the right replacement glass... I'm very curious what are here findings right now...
Kindest regards, Stany
I prefer one really good picture in a day over 10 bad ones in a second... http://www.fotografie.fr/
pam.meier

Re: About S5pro with AA-filter removed...

Post by pam.meier »

My S5 is finished and it will be sent to me soon. It seems to be hard to find the right substitution glass. In my case it took months to get the modification done. As a matter of fact, the experiment started in May 2008 and is still going on. So if I should have it done to my D3, I need to make sure it will be fast and perfect.

What photoforfun has already mentioned is the goofy colors one gets with the wrong filter glass. Now the new glass is more sensitive to the IR spectrum, so I´ll see what that will mean in daily shooting.
James

Post by James »

Hi Pam,

Did you give up on this project in the end when you had the D3 and now the A900?

I'd be interested to see how the completed project did.
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Hi James,

I really wanted this to be finished, but the service provider - who is a very capable amateur - is hard to reach.
So I wrote him an email that I want to have the camera finished this year two weeks ago and haven´t heard from him yet.

Last time he wrote me that it´s hard to get the right UV/IR-cut filter material, thickness being the problem.

Since I really would like to use my S5, I´m not sure I will wait any longer. If he won´t be able to do it, I will have him install the old aa-filter.

Talking about resolution, I went another way and bought a Sony A900 ;)
James

Post by James »

I've seen some of you portraits with the a900, they are stunning!

My father is a landscape photographer and uses view cameras and medium forma but has always shot minolta in 35mm. He was almost impressed enough with your portrait on dpreview when I sent him the link to buy one! His current dslr is the a700.

His site is here if you want to look http://www.t2landscapes.co.uk
pam.meier

Post by pam.meier »

Hi James,

your father takes most beautiful landscape images! I´m sure he would appreciate the extra resolution and better tonal rendition from the A900. There will be a Zeiss 16-35 zoom soon (or has come out yet) which will be most interesting for him.

Pam