D810,D750,D5,D500 nefs in Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, it works!

Information about Nikon Capture NX: Users experiences, updates, tutorials, links, etc...

Moderator: Stany Buyle

Stany Buyle
Active Member?: Yes
Post pictures?: Yes

D810,D750,D5,D500 nefs in Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, it works!

Post by Stany Buyle »

I use Nikon Capture since I had my first digital Nikon- D100-, and I like it. Initially I was shooting nef + jpeg while using the jpeg file most of the time and the nef as a backup or a "second chance" to modify shortcomings in my pictures. More and more I became a full time RAW shooter though, with Nikon Capture NX2 as my preferred converter. Even though I bought Adobe photoshop and a couple of other photo editing programs with their respective raw converters, I Always went back to NCNX.
Back in 2010 I wrote a topic about "why I prefer Nikon Capture" and my opinion is unchanged, even after trying Adobe CC for a month.

With Nikon D810 coming, I knew that possibly Nikon would not release a new Nikon Capture NX2 version with D810 nef file-compatibility anymore, but the extremely tempting specifications of D810 next to my philosophy "you only live once" ;) made me move from D800e to D810 anyhow.

When D810 was available, I was happy Nikon released Nikon View NX2.10 photo editor that open D810nefs and which enables basic modifications in D810 nefs, but NV2.10 leaves a lot to be desired...
After I launched my prayers on dpreview and on the website of Miguel Bañón for a solution to open D810 nef files in Nikon Capture NX2, Iliah Borg responded:
Iliah Borg wrote: OK, let's do something towards it
Please upload some 14-bit FX mode uncompressed Nikon D810 files, any subject matter. It would be useful to have a black frame (viewfinder covered, ISO 64, lens stopped down to f/22 or more, 1/8000 sec shutter speed, lens cap on, better if taken in dark, too); and a shot with some highlights blown out in raw.
That would help Mr. Miguel Bañón to start.
But no promises at this stage of course.
http://www.libraw.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StanyB wrote: OK, Here we go...
Dear Iliah,
Thanks a lot already for starting. I appreciate this very much.
Underneath a collage of some shots I just made. I hope they forfill your requirements.
For the blackframe I added the exif. Blackframe was taken in total dark.
Related nefs are uploading to my server right now.
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1250.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1252.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1256.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1259.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1260.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myphotogallery.name/D810nefs ... C_1261.NEF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kindest regards,
Stany
Soon after the message of Iliah Mr. Bagnon answered to the topic:
Re: OK, Here we go...
In reply to nikonuserinfo, 1 week ago
Hi folks, Thanks for the NEF files, I'll play with them this weekend and let you know.
Regards, blog.bagnon.com
YES!!!!

:idea: Support www nikonuser.info and forum with a donation...
Stany Buyle

RAW2NEF ß: test results and Info for people who want to try

Post by Stany Buyle »

Mr. Bañón publish a beta version for MAC of his convertor on his website :D (Thank you Mr. Bañón :!: ) :

(click on the underneath screenshot to go to the website of Mr. Miguel Bañón)

RAW2NEF ß: test results and Info for people who want to try
  • •The converted files only work in Nikon Capture NX 2.4 .6, not in NC 2.4.7 !
    When I tried to open them in Capture NX2.4.6 I got this:

You can syill download Nikon Capture NX2.4.6 on the Nikon support page of your country.
    On Nikon UK you can download Nikon Capture NX2.4.6 full version here.
  • The converter only works with pictures shot in nef uncompressed 14 bit, but works perfect. Even picture control settings stay when you open the converted file.
    I tried to open several formats at once in Nikon Capture NX2.4.6 and only the ones in uncompressed 14 bit NEF format open correctly.

...but it works perfect:
  • Picture controls keep intact...

• ... and you can open and modify picture control settings when you open the converted file.

• And last but not least: the original file and the converted file are indistinguishable as I see them in NikonView 2.10, also at 100% view

Also upload information shows that file size is identical:

You can download the Original NEF nad the converted NEF and compare the 2 yourself:
:!: :!: :!: THANK YOU Mr. Bañón :!: :!: :!: and Thank you Iliah!
kindest regards,

Stany
I like better one good shot in a day than 10 bad ones in a second...
http://www.fotografie.cafe
Stany Buyle

D810NEFinNX2 convertor for Windows is coming!

Post by Stany Buyle »

Just got an email from Mr. Bañón that he is nearly ready with the Windows 64bit version of his D810NEFinNX2 convertor

YES!!!

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

D810NEFinNX2 convertor for Windows available for download

Post by Stany Buyle »

Miguel Bañón just published his RAW2NEF converter for Win32 and Win64 with support for Nikon D810 nef on his blog:
http://bagnonm.blogspot.com.es/search/label/RAW2NEF

Thanks Miguel!

Kindest regards,
Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stany Buyle

Re: D810 nef files in Nikon Capture NX2, it works!

Post by Stany Buyle »

Latest RAW2NX version download page here.
Stany Buyle

Dear Miguel, can we hope for D810 12bit NEF support?

Post by Stany Buyle »

Dear Miguel,
Thanks for your work until now.
While uncompressed 14 bit NEF files quickly fill the D810 buffer, and while taking sports- wilflife and birding photographers in consideration, do you plan to cover D810 12 bit NEF file compatibility in your RAW2NX convertor?

Thanks in advance,
Kindest regards,
Stany
Stany Buyle

Another question...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hi Miguel,
me one more time... ;)

When this D810nef file to NX2 converter project started, initially Iliah Borg asked to supply the following types of NEF files:
Iliah Borg wrote: OK, let's do something towards it
Please upload some 14-bit FX mode uncompressed Nikon D810 files, any subject matter. It would be useful to have a black frame (viewfinder covered, ISO 64, lens stopped down to f/22 or more, 1/8000 sec shutter speed, lens cap on, better if taken in dark, too); and a shot with some highlights blown out in raw.
That would help Mr. Miguel Bañón to start.
But no promises at this stage of course.
http://www.libraw.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • Is it possible to explain a little bit why you need which type of file? Most intrigued I am by the darkframe and its specifications (a black frame (viewfinder covered, ISO 64, lens stopped down to f/22 or more, 1/8000 sec shutter speed, lens cap on, better if taken in dark, too ).
  • Also I would like to know if you use Iliah Borg's libraw to create your tool.
If you would prefer not to explain your system to create NEF2NX, I would of course respect that.

Kindest regards,

Stany
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by bagnon »

Hello Stany,

First of all, many thanks for your support in regards to RAW2NEF, and congrats for this very interesting forum.
Coming to your questions:

1. - Supported formats: I plan to cover lossless compression, initially 14bits, and let's see how far we get.
2. - Files required to test a new camera/format: you normally want to see a regular picture, but then both extremes, highlights and shadows, that's why Iliah asked for that. Some arithmetic may go well in mid tones, but mistakes can easily get noticed in those high and low pixel value extremes.
3. - RAW2NEF is written in tcl/tk, with the more cpu demanding tasks in C. It is a few years old, and it was initially developed to allow me to edit Leica DNG files with CNX2. The information that I used at that time was the DNG/TIFF and NEF specs, the first two are publicly available, and the NEF format can be obtained from Nikon. Some routines dealing with white balance and Sony ARW decoding were written in tcl mirroring code from dcraw and the exiftool in perl, which are also freely available. Iliah has always been very helpful and generous with his time and knowledge, specially when I added support to the Sony A7r, and now again for the D810. We are very lucky to count with this level of support from so many people volunteering to help so we can have some extra freedom beyond the camera vendors plans and restrictions.

Regards,
MIguel.
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

Hello Stany,
1. - Supported formats: I plan to cover lossless compression, initially 14bits, and let's see how far we get.
That would be great for reasons of D810 buffer capacity.

:idea: While you mention 14 bit lossless compressed nef... I have such D750 files... ;)
2. - Files required to test a new camera/format: you normally want to see a regular picture, but then both extremes, highlights and shadows, that's why Iliah asked for that. Some arithmetic may go well in mid tones, but mistakes can easily get noticed in those high and low pixel value extremes.
Sounds logic. Thanks for explaining.
3. - RAW2NEF is written in tcl/tk, with the more cpu demanding tasks in C. It is a few years old, and it was initially developed to allow me to edit Leica DNG files with CNX2. The information that I used at that time was the DNG/TIFF and NEF specs, the first two are publicly available, and the NEF format can be obtained from Nikon. Some routines dealing with white balance and Sony ARW decoding were written in tcl mirroring code from dcraw and the exiftool in perl, which are also freely available. Iliah has always been very helpful and generous with his time and knowledge, specially when I added support to the Sony A7r, and now again for the D810. We are very lucky to count with this level of support from so many people volunteering to help so we can have some extra freedom beyond the camera vendors plans and restrictions.
Regards,MIguel.
Thanks.

Stany Buyle

The importance of memory card speed

Post by Stany Buyle »

While you have to shoot uncompressed D810 NEFs to use the RAW2NEF program, the memory card speed is very important.
There is an important difference between the speed of newer and older versions of the Sandisk 95Mb/sec memory cards.
See this topic: :arrow: Sandisk SD 95Mb/sec HD vs Sandisk SD 95Mb/sec 4K
Kindest regards,
Stany
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

D810 compressed nef files in Nikon Capture NX2, it will work

Post by bagnon »

Van: stanyxxxxxxxxx Aan: Miguel xxxxxxxx Onderwerp: Re: FW: New beta of raw2nef xxxxxxxxx
Hi Miguel!
What’s new in your RAW2NEF development, any progress with compressed D810 files?
Yes, done and to be released this week.
Van: stanyxxxxxxxxx Aan: Miguel xxxxxxxx Onderwerp: Re: FW: New beta of raw2nef xxxxxxxxx
o Is it possible to make my own template as I want the basic settings?
Yes, you can directly edit with CNX2 the supplied template file, and the edits that you do will be applied to the conversion.
Best regards,
Stany Buyle

D810 compressed 14bit nef files support in RAW2NEF, it works

Post by Stany Buyle »

Stany Buyle

Nikon D750 NEF file edit with Capture NX2

Post by Stany Buyle »

:arrow: related topic: D810 compressed 14bit nef files support in RAW2NEF, it works!
:arrow: Sandisk SD 95Mb/sec HD vs Sandisk SD 95Mb/sec 4K memory card

Miguel Bagnon just finished his great RAW2NEF application which enable to edit D750 lossless compressed 14bit D750 NEF files !

Stany Buyle

About RAW2NEF...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Miguel Bagnon's conversion program can only be used with Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, not with 2.4.7.

You can find Capture NX2.4.6 in these links: Kindest regards,
Stany

:arrow: related topic: RAW2NEF update to v3.32-2014, December 24th

ReaderQuestion

Readers Question about RAW2NEF

Post by ReaderQuestion »

Hi Stany
I'm a fellow D810 user and Raw2nef fan.
One issue that I've noticed with Raw2nef though is that the thumbnails of the converted nef files were displaying as a cropped 16x9 version of the true image when viewed in Adobe Bridge. Out of curiosity I opened the D810 template file in Adobe Camera Raw and was interested to see that it was also in that cropped format, with the image size measuring 6720x3776 pixels. So then I opened one of my own D810 files in Camera Raw and it displayed the true dimensions of 7360x4912 pixels. I think you provided the template files to Miguel? Was this image dimension intentional for some reason? Do you think this is why the thumbnail files display as cropped? I sent this question to Miguel a few days ago but so far no reply from him.
Cheers, Michael
Stany Buyle

Re: Readers Question about RAW2NEF

Post by Stany Buyle »

ReaderQuestion wrote:Hi Stany
I'm a fellow D810 user and Raw2nef fan.
One issue that I've noticed with Raw2nef though is that the thumbnails of the converted nef files were displaying as a cropped 16x9 version of the true image when viewed in Adobe Bridge. Out of curiosity I opened the D810 template file in Adobe Camera Raw and was interested to see that it was also in that cropped format, with the image size measuring 6720x3776 pixels. So then I opened one of my own D810 files in Camera Raw and it displayed the true dimensions of 7360x4912 pixels. I think you provided the template files to Miguel? Was this image dimension intentional for some reason? Do you think this is why the thumbnail files display as cropped? I sent this question to Miguel a few days ago but so far no reply from him.
Cheers, Michael
Hi Michael,
Miguel and myself tested this and we were communicating about this.
Adobe modifies the image size of a RAW2nef NEF-file.
RAW2nef is designed to work with D810 and D750 NEF files in Capture NX2, not to use them in Adobe RAW of PS5.
kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

Dear Miguel, please explain...

Post by Stany Buyle »

Dear Miguel,

Please explain:

• We were communicating about Adobe RAW modifying the RAW2NEF file image dimension size, is this problem solved?
  • For which versions of PS does RAW2NEF works?
Thanks in advance,
Kindest regards,

Stany
GAshby
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D810 and D750 nef files in Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, it wor

Post by GAshby »

Thanks.
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

RAW2NEF with D7200 support

Post by bagnon »

Dear Stany,
You may want to update Raw2Nef to the just released version 3.5.
This adds support for the NIKON D7200 camera, and fixes an issue that precluded converting protected files.
Find here the latest info and download links for Raw2Nef,

http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/

Best regards,
Miguel Bañón
Stany Buyle

strange issue with D7200 and RAW2NEF 3.35

Post by Stany Buyle »

kindest regards,

Stany
Stany Buyle

To Miguel Bagnon:A question about templates in your software

Post by Stany Buyle »

On 07-Jun-15 3:29 PM, StanyB@xxxxx wrote:
Good afternoon Miguel,

A question about templates in your conversion program:

The templates you provide do not show ADL setting, or do I miss something?

Thanks in advance for your time to read/answer my question.

Kindest regards,

Stany
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by bagnon »

On 09-Jun-15 10:05 AM, Miguel Bañón wrote:
Dear Stany,

As far as I have been able to understand it, ADL does not modify the raw data, but includes an image-specific layer mask, and then applies exposure correction applying that mask. The same can perfectly be done in postprocessing.

Given that the layer mask is stored in undocumented format in proprietary NEF fields, I do not transfer that to the converted files. And the template has ADL set to off.

Best regards,
Miguel Bañón
Stany Buyle

Post by Stany Buyle »

On 09-Jun-15 11:51 AM, StanyB wrote:
Good morning Miguel,

OK. Thanks for your answer.

• I understand but I find -after U-point tech of course- ADL one of the reasons to keep going with Capture NX2, next to picture styles. It saves tons of time.
Otherwise you could do everything in PP and simply switch to Adobe…
• Can I make my own templates with ADL swtiched on for D810, D750 and D7200? (Lens cap on, 1/1600 sec, or what?)

Kindest regards,
Stany
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Post by bagnon »

Dear Stany,
You can turn ADL on the template, but the generated file will not have the proper layer mask that needs to be specific to the new image, so it will be wrong. Sorry, no useful solution here from my side.

Happy pictures!
Miguel Bañón
Stany Buyle

RAW2NEF v3.36

Post by Stany Buyle »

RAW2NEF is now at version 3.36.
Stany Buyle

Nikon Capture NX2.4.6 download sources

Post by Stany Buyle »

Miguel Bagnon's conversion program can only be used with Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, not with 2.4.7.

You can find Capture NX2.4.6 in these links: Kindest regards,
Stany

:arrow: related topic: RAW2NEF update to v3.36- May 2015

kindest regards,

Stany
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

RAW2NEF update for D5

Post by bagnon »

Dear Raw2Nef patron,

Raw2Nef has been updated to 3.41, adding support for the new D5 camera.

Best regards,

Miguel
bagnon
AFFILIATED MEMBER

Re: D810, D750, D5 nefs in Nikon Capture NX2.4.6, it works!

Post by bagnon »

Dear Stany,

In regards to your question

" Is it possible that you modify your program so we get exif information with D500 as a camera rather than another camera?"

Please, check the Raw2Nef FAQ;

http://www.bagnon.com/raw2nef/faq.html#model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, no, I can't do that.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards
Miguel